• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs West Brom U21 - EFL Trophy - Match day thread

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Was the WBA side made up of under 16's - 18's, I genuinely cannot be bothered to look up the names.

I don't believe their genuine under 21's are quite that bad.

tonykellowfan

WBA were poor but we also made them look poor. Kite was my MOM and him and Dean totally bossed the centre midfield.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
If that is the standard for Premiership U21 sides then league 2 is going to be pretty ***t when they restructure and let them in! 🙄

DawlishBouy

Oldest player in WBA’s team was Diaby [age 20]. Most were 18 or 19. They have got 8 youngsters out on loan to League One, LeagueTwo, and National League clubs. It was almost an under 21 reserves they put out.

Grecian Max

It shows the pointlessness in it all. Their best talents are going to be loaned out already, leaving these teams with very weak u23s.....

budegrecian

I believe that when Aston Villa signed Chrisene, their head of youth development (or whatever they called it) said they were fed up of having an U21 side where none of the players had any realistic hope of ever making the first team & they needed to sign some real quality to start seriously improving the standard at that level. They also signed a youngster from Barcelona. Ironically, they also signed the U21 coach from WBA IIRC due to his good reputation.
I certainly didn't see anyone in the WBA side, last night, that appeared to have the quality of the 3 lads we've recently had on loan from them from them.

ecfc-boy

Out of interest is Nigel atangana injury or just drop off the face of the earth would of exspted him to start yesterday if fit

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Oldest player in WBA’s team was Diaby [age 20]. Most were 18 or 19. They have got 8 youngsters out on loan to League One, LeagueTwo, and National League clubs. It was almost an under 21 reserves they put out.
Makes a mockery of it, why bother with these tinpot games.

andrew p long

It shows the pointlessness in it all. Their best talents are going to be loaned out already, leaving these teams with very weak u23s.....
Yes, we know that WBA have had some really useful teenagers like Dara,Kane and Kyle. But they played in this competition for League Two sides anyway...

tonykellowfan

Makes a mockery of it, why bother with these tinpot games.
It's a good runout for our players. Game time for fringe players, younger players and those coming back from injury.