• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs West Brom U21 - EFL Trophy - Match day thread

tonykellowfan

tonykellowfan

The highlights give a good idea of Ajose's involvement in the game.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Aaron Pugh and Kevin Nicholson!
Yes,really really good.

Is tonight's commentary from other academy staff?

Antony Moxey

Looking at those highlights as good as the goals were you have to wonder why West Brom have those lads on their books - the defending for each goal really was enough to embarrass a 12 year old. I’d be genuinely surprised if any of them get to even Exmouth standard. You might say it’s their U21s, I say so what, with a team made up, bar literally one or two, academy graduates ours was pretty much an U21 side too.

The future’s bright...

Spoonz Red E

Great running for the first two goals.
Confidence for the third.
Determination for the fourth.
Ajose showing the skills he has at the end.

West Brom looked tired.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
West Brom looked tired.
Yep. I don't think they were used to a pressing game from their opponents. They constantly surrendered possession and had so little control that they were constantly running to cover gaps all over the pitch. Goes to show the standard of U21 football sadly.

muppetdodger

Most of the goals were caused by comedic defending. How do those guys get contracts at a club like west Brom. Some of these higher clubs must look at our performances and think, wow, what we could do with players like that and then we sell more for profit. We have an incredible production line at Exeter, something to be very proud of

muppetdodger

Yep. I don't think they were used to a pressing game from their opponents. They constantly surrendered possession and had so little control that they were constantly running to cover gaps all over the pitch. Goes to show the standard of U21 football sadly.
You'd think with our recent contacts with West brom on loanees that either the coaching staff there would know what to expect, or said loanees might say, 'look out they will run you ragged'

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
There was more space in the WBA half than there was in the Big Bank.

grecianstew

Having seen the highlights I’ve got to agree with some posters about the quality of opposition. Really does highlight the mess football is in when players of this standard can draw a wage from the game.