• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Newport County matchday thread

Slogger

yet again our starting line up entirely consisted of players who were with us last season

The E&E worked out that we were the only side out of the 92 who didn't have a debutant starting on the opening day of the season.If I've got it right,that run has now extended to the first 5 games of the season, when nobody else managed one game!

(and this is despite now having lost five players to clubs that finished above us last season - Watkins Wheeler Ampadu Grant and Stacey)
If ain't broke!!!!!

grecian55

Many thanks to whoever plays the music at the end of the game ,it completed a great day hearing "Have a nice day " by the Welsh band The Sterophonics ringing out to help the Newport fans on their way home , ;)

Proverbial game of two halves.

First half, City were largely outplayed by a decent looking Newport team, for whom their #27 was pulling all the strings. City's midfield pair weren't at the races, Reid was isolated up front, MacAlinden ran around aimlessly in no-man's land, & our two wingers saw nothing of the ball at all. Too many times, long balls were lumped forward for the absent Wheeler... Newport's attacks largely came down our right flank, where time & again, Sweeney was exposed.

But with Holmes & Taylor swapping wings, City started to take control of the game towards the end of the first half, & then with the benefit of half-time, City came out & totally bossed the game for the next 25-30 minutes. Although under pressure for the last 15 minutes, the defence rarely looked troubled.

Other than Sweeney, who is at best work-in-progress at right back, the defence impressed - Pym in particular looks much more confident than last year (& stronger - he looks to have bulked out somewhat).

James flattered to deceive, on the basis of 3 or 4 highlight-reel passes - but he is too peripheral to be effective at the heart of the midfield. Despite the horrible miss, Tillson, in the second half in particular, did a great job defensively, breaking up many of Newport's moves.

A final mention for Reid - he looks fitter than I've ever seen him, & his willingness to run the channels, right up until the moment late in the game when he was substituted, allied to a series of excellent touches, was really impressive.

Saint James

I will admit that our transfer deadline dealing brought me into this game somewhat over confident and I wondered if the players were the same given we hardly kept hold of the ball for the first 45 when outplayed by a decent looking Newport. As others have said Troy and JMT look as solid as solid can be with a dependable Woodman and an improving Sweeney alongside. James upped his game I felt with the pressure of Boateng on the bench Tillson for me still isn't what I would expect of a central midfielder in terms of passing ability. Rueben is fast recapturing the form that made him League Two's most prolific and will be knocking on the door of Kellows 30 goal haul if he keeps on playing the way he is. McAllinden whilst much improved and a very willing runner cant for the life of him keep hold of the ball up front which I think will see him moved to a wide berth soon to allow Stockley a run. The underrated Jake Taylor for me was MOM as he pops up everywhere defensively and offensively and the talent of Holmes was in the end the difference. My only gripe was the dead ball kicking of Pym who failed to find a City player on each kick he made. Anyone that saw him in the pre match warm up would have noticed 4 or 5 complete shanks which was more Devon and Exeter than Football League :) However, things are incredibly rosy in the SJP garden

Last edited:

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting that the last two posts differ in their assessment of who is the better of James and Tillson, or was yesterday. In all the league games I've seen this season on the stream (ie all of them except first half against Cheltenham) I would say Tillson is a good defensive player but seems a bit clueless going forward, while James has played well in all of them. I know it's not a popular opinion and that some people think I'm deliberately being provocative, but that's what I think.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Interesting that the last two posts differ in their assessment of who is the better of James and Tillson, or was yesterday. In all the league games I've seen this season on the stream (ie all of them except first half against Cheltenham) I would say Tillson is a good defensive player but seems a bit clueless going forward, while James has played well in all of them. I know it's not a popular opinion and that some people think I'm deliberately being provocative, but that's what I think.
If I was given out marks I'd say both James and Tilson put in 8 out of 10 performances yesterday

denzel

Legohead

Banned
Yeah, i think 'left to rue a host of missed chances by his team' tells it's own story.

Stop whining about the ref and whine about your players not being good enough to put the ball in the onion bag!

Antony Moxey

Classless and clueless. What disallowed goal: the one where the ref blew a number of seconds before the ball went in the net meaning our players who heard the whistle stopped playing? What a throbber.

STURTZ

I thought Reid had an alright first half against the odds but second half, especially when the substitutions were due, made extra efforts to show that he is our top forward. He moved out to the right, repeatedly called for the ball, made some great runs and put in some excellent defence splitting passes as well as having his own efforts on goal. Was it Stockley coming on that he was working to avoid? Not sure but it worked for him and the team and Stockley, who had been warming up for quite some time, was reduced to a cameo unproductive 10 minutes, whilst Reuban left the pitch to a standing ovation.