• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Grimsby Town Matchday Thread

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
A day of frustration if truth be told. Another side that looked like they were there to be had if we could have got the first one. It wasn't hard to see why they are struggling but we only forced their keeper into one save all afternoon and a cracking one at that from Logan following yet another pin point cross from Stewart.
Can somebody confirm for me whether the ***** in green was thevery ***** who sent Scrat off on Boxing Day. If so, why didn't he send their left back off? He had two chances in the same incident. Firstly, he should have gone for sticking his head Matty T's face, straight red. Or alternatively, he books him for diving and then he books him for the flare up afterwards. Either way, we should have been playing ten men for two thirds of the game.
We missed Harley's inventiveness today. I'm sure he would have unlocked their back door once for us to get the first goal that we needed. Logan looked better today, spent more time getting his derrier into their box aswell as doing the defensive duties he is required to do. Edwards spent the first twenty minutes trying to untie his feet but once he did, looked the part. As for the rest of the side, did pretty much what you'd expect of them.
My only gripe, and it's been bought up by others before, is do Scrat and Jonesy talk the same language or do they just not talk at all. Again today there have been incidences where it seems they haven't communicated properly, the most prime example being from a Grimsby corner in the second half where Jonesy has come to punch the corner away, and got a decent punch on it, but Scrat seems to have got across in front of him nearly getting in his way. Time and again this season there have been balls over the top that Scrat has left to run when a forward is chasing down only for Jonesy to react late to and get their just in time.
All in all, points dropped as opposed to a point gained.

ECFC TOM

I'm thinking of just the City shirt with no jumper today. A wise decision or not?
I whimped out in the end. I had two shirts and a jumper on...........and still freezed me tits off.

Can somebody confirm for me whether the ***** in green was thevery ***** who sent Scrat off on Boxing Day
P Gibbs was the ref in both games!! Makes his descision all the more galling

dommers

Perhaps he's realised that he got the decision on Boxing day wrong.

If Matt Taylor had gone down like Sills did, the ref would have shown the red card

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not too bad at all really. On another day we would have won. We missed Harley i rekon.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
If he's from Weston Super Mare then it's the same ref. He was running the line in the England v Wales non-league game at the Park last season and I was sat next to his parents. I let them know he isn't very popular in Exeter...

Jimi

Just got back from game. Not particularly disappointed, just feeling very very medium.

I disagree with the comments that Grimsby were there for the taking today. They gave us very little space in the middle of the park and I thought were defensively excellent. The quality of our crossing today was generally very good, with a few exceptions of course, yet we were restricted to only a few decent opportunities, that didnt get any better than Logie's early header which was well saved.

Marcus Stewart was my MOTM today (I didn't actually catch who was the official MOTM), who showed his class in everything he did. Despite being offered little by the Grimsby back line, he continually carved out space and snuffed out a number of Grimsby counters with some excellent tackling. Logan was getting some stick from a few elements where I was, but I thought that aside from winning very little in the air, on the ground he was very good today, particularly considering the service to him was little more than long target balls. Elsewhere, Edwards frequently seemed far from his usual assured self, giving away possession softly a few times, and Stansfield had one of those days where nothing seemed to go right, despite his endeavour. At the back we were good, if a little dallying at times, and Jones had an excellent game barring some near-heart-attack-enducing clearances.

Tisdale at least tried to tweak the formation when McCallister came on for Stewart, but the move didn't really look like providing much more penetration and in the end a draw was reasonably fair, despite an apparently stone wall red card for Newey (I think) which I missed due to an impromptu sneezing fit.

A home draw against a win-less team sounds disappointing, and it is to an extent, but this is the same team who took a fantastic point away at Wycombe last week and were unlucky not to get the win. I think that Grimsby under the embarrassingly comical misogynist Mike Newell are a much stronger proposition than the whipping boys of early season, so its far from doom and gloom this evening, and hey, we're still 7th :)

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
Only had time to read this one page of the thread, so I'm going to go through the rest of the weekend with only Ian Harris's observations to give me a feel for the game. That's how much I trust the bauy!

I advised the Saturday Ladbrokes accumilator lads at work to steer clear of the short-priced City win today when I heared Ryan was out. He is, I think, our main 'magic special ingredient', and it's often Ryan who pushes us on from neat and tidy passing side to neat, tidy, CREATIVE passing side.

Still, all told, I'm not going to turn my nose up at a Football League point, so well done City - although I would have loved the win as per today's column in the Echo (if we'd got 3 more points, our first quarter of the season return would have been better than all four promoted City teams, including 89/90).

I was sat next to his parents. I let them know he isn't very popular in Exeter...
"Scuse me. We all think your son's a c**t..." :)

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks Jimi. I now have two people's views!

Bring on Barnet.