• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Forest Green Rovers matchday thread

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
We're not in a slump. A slump is what Accrington are in..... five straight defeats. We aren't in top gear but we're not in a slump.
3 wins in 10 league games is a slump.

As for the call off - it had to happen it was bloody miserable

AndrewP

That was a lovely 320 mile round trip...... weather on the M5 on the way home horrid - Car became boat on many occasions. That level of rainfall hard for any pitch to absorb probably, so on balance I would have to conceed the right decision.... I am perpelxed on a number of points however..

1) Pitch has been looking poorly for a few games - what did all the money a few years back go on ?, as it seems not to be working. I know the "usual" summer maintenance was not done (you know, where they seemingly rip it all up and start again - which i have always thought bizzare - surley a surface that has been estabalished is nore hardy that relaying every year) ?. I do not, however, have any knowledge or experience in groundsmanship so would love to understand further.

2) When the chaps came on at half time with the roller sponges, why did they do the far side first rather than the flybe side - which is what the ref was interested in ?. And why did it seem the rollers were mopping up the water and then dumping it back on the playing surface ?

3) The vouchers - seem to be handed out willy nilly - bet they've handed out more than there were there....I coulda taken a few - I didn't as a season ticket holder but some more dilligence could have been employed.

4) What was the pitch like earlier in the day ?, I had heard the rainfall in Exeter was biblical overnight and that many were surprised it was even going ahead. Could it of been called off earlier - before some had travelled ?. Ref's decision though, not the Clubs......... (??)

Listen, In circumstances like this, your damned if you do, damned if you don't.....I can count on 1 hand the times I have travelled to St james Park for a game to be called off. Wycombe on a tuesday night was one, Darlington as well ???. I recall i was on the M5 at Cheltenham once and turned round again....

Still frustrating though, and I fear for our pitch. I also remain confused why we still have these problems.

As for the 1st half........ Not great was it?..... Lack of cohesion, communication (especially between Pym and defence) was non existant.....very poor....

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

Now put the the two draws in amongst, and whilst it's still not pretty, it's not quite the picture you paint.

denzel

What would be your solution to 3 AndrewP?
They had to hand out the vouchers in that way, in the absence of tickets for everyone. You're relying on the honesty of fans but what is the alternative?

Club did the right thing.

ecfctis

Now put the the two draws in amongst, and whilst it's still not pretty, it's not quite the picture you paint.
ECFC are 19th & 20th in the form table for the last 6 and 10 games. Currently playing pretty poorly, losing to teams at the bottom of the league easily,
and most worryingly, the management/coaches/players look full of doubt and lacking confidence. It could be worse but not by much.
Get those big dark blinkers off, the whole team performance is lacking just about everything at the moment - apart from Stockleys goals.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
The first half today was hardly inspiring....

The table is beginning to take shape now as we head Into the new year with Lincoln as expected now settled into league 2 level and Coventry & Mansfield sneaking up to where you would expect as well...

Carlisle are also beginning to rise....

Early Bath

Here you go

Many thanks Hants.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bit of a disappointment for me either, driving all that way only to be served up with a crap half of football and an abandonment. Fair do's, I did suspect there may be problems having che.cked the forecast, but I still wish these games could be called off earlier. Forecasts are fairly accurate these days and surely a correlation of the ground conditions with the amount of rain expected would help. Perhaps a virtual simulation of the ground, must be possible.

I really don’t see how it can be called off earlier. I know forecasts are much better these days but can you imagine the **** storm if a game gets called off due to a prediction of how the pitch will fare based upon a forecast? While it’s playable you have to go ahead.

Although it’s disappointing, the game was a bit of a farce and it was unlikely to end well had it carried on to the end. Let’s hope the weather isnt too bad for the rest of the week and we can get the Barnet game to go ahead (and win).

Last edited:

andrew p long

an interesting five changes to the line up from Saturday (some rotation in leaving out Sweeney and Woodman?)

The weather forecast for Saturday is ..erm... rain..

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Just back (to hotel) and blo@dy annoyed. When you travel the best part of a thousand miles for a game (well, Xmas with the family, but you know what I mean) then it’s effin annoying. Appears to be some reaction against Pete here for complaining, but as a fellow expat I‘ll take his side here. Back in my day (i.e. St Albans away) we battled through the rain and relied on Deano to score a late winner. Now a few drops and it’s all over. The ball doesn‘t bounce? With the hoofball both sides were playing, it hardly matters...
So you didn't travel over just for this game then you were over with family who im guessing live fairly local ?

The rain around Exeter in the last 24 hrs has been ridiculous to say the least, you only have to look at the gulleys on the roads to see the debris that has been washed down overnight and this morning.

The soakers had little effect and it wasn't just the BB/Doble corner that was taking a hit it was the other side of goal and the outside of the centre circle that were getting drenched, Surprised it even got to H/T tbh hopefully the rain will ease up over the next few days ready for the next game.

Good effort by the groundstaff but you really were fighting a losing battle guys !

UTC.