• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Cheltenham Town Matchday Thread

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Could Pym have done better? Yes, I believe so. Was it so terrible that it was even worthy of comment? I don't think so.

The fault lies with Moxey for giving the ball away on the edge of the 6 yard box, criticism of Christy's role in the goal is completely pointless and will be yet another reason for people to think that you're some ridiculous character.
No I'm not a "ridiculous character", I view his performances extra closely, as I was asked my opinion of him many seasons ago now, when he really was short! My opinion back then was that he was extremely acrobatic and had the makings of a good keeper. I pointed out he was short at that time but there was much time for him to grow. I think he was about 15 at that time.

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
No I'm not a "ridiculous character",
Stop acting like one then.

PeteUSA

If Pym had dived the other way and matey had slid the ball directly into the back of the net then you would have had something to complain about.
I might be wrong but I didnt think Pym dived either way, Ian? It looked like a one on one with their forward to me, with him being favorite had he got his upper body behind the ball?

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
I might be wrong
That's definitely a possibility.

Antony Moxey

Yep, absolutely nailed on. Ref clearly bottled it, in that situation and to give a goal kick but no card for a dive is just a sign of bottling it. Got lucky with that one.
Sorry, but this annoys me greatly. There was some retard sat behind me that works in hospitality saying it’s either a penalty or a card. Utter rubbish (he likes his opinion heard, which amuses me greatly as normally it’s utter b******s), is there no scenario where the attacker might have tripped, stumbled, fallen after the defender got the ball first or a million other instances before a dive is the obvious answer? Neither the player, his team mates or the manager (who went into histrionics every time a decision didn’t go their way) appealed that vociferously so perhaps he just fell over under the challenge?

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry, but this annoys me greatly. There was some retard sat behind me that works in hospitality saying it’s either a penalty or a card. Utter rubbish (he likes his opinion heard, which amuses me greatly as normally it’s utter b******s), is there no scenario where the attacker might have tripped, stumbled, fallen after the defender got the ball first or a million other instances before a dive is the obvious answer? Neither the player, his team mates or the manager (who went into histrionics every time a decision didn’t go their way) appealed that vociferously so perhaps he just fell over under the challenge?
I would normally agree, but I think in that instance it was very unlikely that the 'nam player just tripped, and giving a goal kick would suggest he didn't think City got the ball. I guess it's different for me as I was stood low down in the bank so had a clear view of the blokes heels being tapped. There is a scenario in which a player just falls, but that weren't it.

Antony Moxey

Fair dos, you had a better view than me. That doesn’t stop me from being annoyed at the view that it’s either a penalty or a card, a view loudly opined by a city official who’s happy to let the world and his wife know, but more often than not embarrasses the club with the size of his gob.

Spoonz Red E

I might be wrong but I didnt think Pym dived either way, Ian? It looked like a one on one with their forward to me, with him being favorite had he got his upper body behind the ball?
To me the sequence is thus:
Their number 11, Broom, turns 2 players inside out (a great bit of play) then flicks a ball though to their number 9 in the box.
This is where the mistakes happen. Aaron Martin gets the chance to leather the ball away for a throw in but instead nudges it to Moxey who completely misjudges his touch.
The number 9 now has the ball and Pym has to react to a situation which he wouldn't really have been expecting. He makes a very good attempt to get down (dive) and get his hand on the ball which he almost succeeds with. His body is also between the player and the goal. At this point their number 9 is given the option to pass the ball back at almost 90 degrees to the goal line and parallel to Pym to the waiting Broom who hasn't been picked up at all.
To single out Pym for this goal seems a bit perverse.

Last edited:

PeteUSA

The number 9 now has the ball and Pym has to react to a situation which he wouldn't really have been expecting. He makes a very good attempt to get down (dive) and get his hand on the ball which he almost succeeds with. His body is also between the player and the goal. At this point their number 9 is given the option to pass the ball back at almost 90 degrees to the goal line and parallel to Pym to the waiting Broom who hasn't been picked up at all. To single out Pym for this goal seems a bit perverse.
I dont think anybodys singling out Pym for that goal Mike. He was totally let down by defenders in front of him in an appaling fashion. I just think his approach to the player who crossed that ball was a bit suspect. Flinders demonstrated how a one on one works when he blocked a shot from one of our players who was clean through in the second half - total commitment to block that ball.

Antony Moxey

And yet he was nowhere near Forte’s effort. Sometimes total commitment means nothing if the striker gets the better of you.