• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Portsmouth Matchday Thread

Kellow & Beer

I would like to see Tisdale go and he has to take FULL responsibility for the players at the club and on the pitch.
Portsmouth had the lions share of possession without really hurting us; part of the reason for that was because the back three and the 2 wing-backs defended very well. The midfield 4 and centre forward were shocking and offered nothing to protect the defence or to give us an attacking threat.
Just before Ampadu got replaced he had treatment for cramp or a hamstring and as he jogged back to the centre circle he was holding his hamstring. It was the right decision to replace him.
Portsmouths manager was sat in the stand next to us [because he has a match-day ban] and he agreed it was definitely 'Not' a penalty.
I thought we did enough for a 0-0 and in ordinary circumstances you would say we were unlucky; but the truth is; we have not been anywhere near good enough at home for 4 or 5 years!!

One person has to take the blame/responsibility- TISDALE :-(

Well-known Exeweb poster
just reiterate a point from a prev thread 2 home wins in the whole div one and 2 today.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Another poor home performance, made even more frustrating by us only starting to play in the last ten minutes after going behind.

Pompey's penalty was soft, hardly a surprise with Gavin Ward as the referee, but let's not pretend they didn't dominate the vast majority of the game. They could have been out of sight by half-time if number 7 Carl Baker had not wasted a hatful of crosses.

The only positive I can really take is that the defence played well. Brown was brave, Sweeney unlucky for the penalty, Ampadu assured again, and Riley-Lowe was industrious at left-back. Why Tisdale has only just thought to play him there instead of Woodman only he knows.

That's where the good news ended sadly. Lloyd James looks to be a poor man's Noble, and neither he nor Harley provide enough protection or mobility in midfield. Watkins is lacking that sharpness and confidence he had at the back end of last season.

The biggest worry for me, though, is where is our goal poacher? For years it was Cureton, more recently it was Nichols. Both thrived when playing off a big target man. We have two target men but no poacher. Watkins might be the answer but he likes to come deep and search for the ball. Jamie Reid scored for the Turks today so hopefully he'll come back and perform that role because we desperately need someone.

Onto the home form, it really is starting to take the biscuit now. Two wins in 19 home league wins is appalling and Tisdale's response to a perfectly reasonable question on it smacked of arrogance and complacency. I wonder if there needs to be a game, decided in advance, that fans are politely asked to boycott to try and get the message across to Tisdale. Perhaps Notts County at home on Tuesday 27 September? It's only a suggestion but something clearly needs to be done if things carry on as they are.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just back from my regular 200 mile round trip to City lose at home.

I suppose this is when the usual suspects (that don't actually suffer that many games) chip in with how we are doing well and can't expect more, well excuse me but I don't travel to see City play well, I don't travel to see City's youth prospects maturing, I don't travel to see players working hard to implement some ineffective plan, I don't travel to see a well dressed manager, I travel to see us win! Heard Tisdale being interviewed after the game, he got all shirty when asked if he felt attendances would drop due to our poor home form, Why should anybody not go after that? was his implication, arrogant and blinkered sums him up quite well.

The game? Quite entertaining, Portsmouth had the lion's share of the possession but didn't have a cutting edge, Exeter sat deep, kept a good shape and contained Pompie but had no cutting edge either. We were content to keep them out and I thought Brown and CRL were excellent, midfield good defensively but lacked ability, up front Simpson should have played from the start, McAlinden doesn't have much about him.

Another crap day but Tisdale's probably right, the crowd wont drop and more as it's all ready as low as it can go, all that are left now are suckers like me that will pay money and go every week whatever our form, not to see that pompous arse though!

Last edited:

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
just reiterate a point from a prev thread 2 home wins in the whole div one and 2 today.
Two in league one and three in league two. I notice you didn't feel like mentioning the 7 in the championship, and the 7 in the conference. ;)

As far as I am aware we are the only side who hasn't picked up a home point in league two so far. Can't believe that people are still trying to defend the home form. That would be like me trying to claim our away form was rubbish (facepalm).

I would be interested to know if over the past four years in league two , whether anyone us in the football league has a worst home record. We have to accept it is an issue even if you don't agree that Tisdale should go. If the existing tactics are not getting the results, then we have nothing to lose from trying something different.

It was noticeable today that we came nowhere near threatening to score in the first half, second half saw some improvement , but nice we fell behind we earned three? Corners , and had two good shots blocked on or near the line, as well as a dangerous cross which lacked a touch in the middle. Had we gone for it earlier we may have given ourselves a greater chance of scoring, and if we had conceded earlier we wouldn't have been in a worse position than we are now.

Red Devon

We lack a goal scorer!!!

Well-known Exeweb poster
Two in league one and three in league two. I notice you didn't feel like mentioning the 7 in the championship, and the 7 in the conference. ;)

yeah your right, i took the bbc at their word and clicked on the the part'ar league results, expecting to get all the results, not so, they only give you part. Used to be my 'go to site ' but its become more and more frustrating, anyway bac to gomorarah

There is a time to show blind faith and this is not one of those times. Do yourself a favour and accept wr are ****e and Tisdale is ruining us.

Well-known Exeweb poster

As far as I am aware we are the only side who hasn't picked up a home point in league two so far. Can't believe that people are still trying to defend the home form. That would be like me trying to claim our away form was rubbish (facepalm).

I would be interested to know if over the past four years in league two , whether anyone us in the football league has a worst home record. We have to accept it is an issue even if you don't agree that Tisdale should go. If the existing tactics are not getting the results, then we have nothing to lose from trying something different.

It was noticeable today that we came nowhere near threatening to score in the first half, second half saw some improvement , but nice we fell behind we earned three? Corners , and had two good shots blocked on or near the line, as well as a dangerous cross which lacked a touch in the middle. Had we gone for it earlier we may have given ourselves a greater chance of scoring, and if we had conceded earlier we wouldn't have been in a worse position than we are now.
yeah one of the points that the results show is that it takes quality to unlock teams that sit bac,, quality that costs and prem and championship teams have the resources to buy that. what the lower league teams have is good enough athletes to orgonise the spoiling effectively but in general not enough quality to oppose and unlock

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yep you have convinced me that all is good and Tisdale is God. Home wins are overrated.