• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Portsmouth Matchday Thread

Joshyd123

Very well known Exeweb poster
Surely we'll win at home... surely?!

With 3 defeats from 4 competitive home games a win is required.
Got a bad feeling that it will finish 4-1 to Pompey.
Boos around the ground. Tisdale arguing with the fans and exeweb in meltdown

StroudGrecian

Surely we'll win at home... surely?!
I wouldn't bet on it.

C'mon City, three more points today please.

Avening Posse

Pompey have lost one, won one and drawn two in the league and lost in the 1st round of the cup, so only one win in five so far, but in the league games they have played fairly decent teams so far relatively speaking. Expecting it to be edgy, so lets hope we are on our game and take the points. We certainly can do it, but will we ?, I am going to have a bet on a 2-1 win

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I expect the crowd to reach 5000. We will create some good opportunities, and chances. My view being probably clouded by previous home games, I am not expecting better than a draw and a defeat wouldn't surprise me, however hopefully we will make the right choices in the final third and become more clinical plus the defence managing to focus for the whole ninty odd minutes.

Five goals in six games which were all good or great finishes, what we probably need is a couple of simple goals. ie cross into the box and a close range tap in or bundle. Come on city, two good performances/results in front of larger crowds against Pompey and Plymouth would be a great start to making everyone feel a lot more positive about home matches.

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
They had 250 standing tickets left 2 days, having sold all their seats. So should be 1200 odd there from Pompey.

Not there myself, decided to skip after the Hartlepool game.

Jason's preview - http://www.exeweb.com/2016/08/25/next-up-exeter-city-vs-portsmouth-2/

Last edited:

David Treharne

It's disappointingly grey at the moment, with lots of high level cloud. It is, however, warm at 22c with the temperature rising in the last hour. There was a trace of rain in the last 24 hours, but nothing significant. The wind is ESE (very unusual for Exeter) at only 1-2.
Yesterday in Exeter was the sort of day that you hope will be sustained for a long period during our so called Summer, but today is proof that it doesn't ever work like that. It wouldn't surprise me if the sprinklers are on all morning as the ground look unrelentingly hard,
Further to the above I'd have to hope that the kind of football played by City would be dazzling- and sustained for a long period-but pragmatically I expect to have to settle for another dour performance at home - and additions to the unrelenting thread that is "Tisdale must go".
More at about 13:00

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Morning! I'm not overly confident about todays game - we need to start nice and positively and not get bogged down by them. If we do that we might just get a positive result but I think the nervous tension will build up around the ground if things don't go our way. I think there will be calls for Tisdale''s head if we lose but we'll just have to wait and see... See you all later UTC

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Haven't seen it mentioned but I believe Paul Cook is banned from the touchline today after some naughtiness at Morecambe.

David Treharne

It's 24c and now glaringly bright, although the grey cloud cover hasn't really lifted. No sign of any rain and for those standing on the Big bank this afternoon the UV index is "high". The wind is veering from ESE towards SE and has increased in strength slightly. However, you'll need your sunglasses this afternoon. The barometric pressure has started to drop with the wind shift.
It'll be interesting to see what sort of team we put out, and who will be judged to be playing in completely the wrong position.
I'm off to hydrate myself against the dehydration of the sun by having a couple of beers in Red Square and talking in a completely over-optimistic way about the outcome of the game.