• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Hartlepool Utd FA Cup 2nd Round Official Match Day Thread

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Frankly awful mistake by Maxted.
Pat a cake pat a cake..

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sh!t happens - that's the magic of the FA Cup. This was Matt Taylor's first match as a manager against lower-league opposition and he, and the team, will hopefully have a learnt a lot from the second half; if nothing else they will have a lot of time on the coach to reflect on today's game. The one thing that did seem strange is, if Fisher was fit enough to be on the bench why didn't he come on to replace Seymour.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wasn't there today but I'm not liking what I hear re Sweeney. He's been pretty gash all season, distribution very poor, and doesn't weigh in with the goals that he used to. Today sounded like an attitude problem which is inexcusable. I understand him getting irate if our fans are on his back but generally our fans are pretty forgiving so he needs to show greater professionalism. Personally, if I was MT I'd get rid at the first opportunity, he's just not good enough.

You get the feeling he's popular in the dressing room, one of the boys, but in footballing terms I'd go as far as to say he's the worst player in the team.
Like you I didn't see the match but I thought Sweeney was our best player against Crawley and he has also been part of a defence that didn't concede a goal for three games before yesterday; I also stand to be corrected but I don't think he was at fault for either of the goals yesterday.

norfolk_exile

Let's look on the bright side, if there is to be a televised replay then it is between us and Boston v Rochdale to be shown. Decent chance of some tv cash????

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Let's look on the bright side, if there is to be a televised replay then it is between us and Boston v Rochdale to be shown. Decent chance of some tv cash????
And, unlike our friends down the road, at least we didn't miss a 96th minute penalty that would have won the match.

Fareham Grecian

Boston game a shoo-in for BBC coverage. We might get BT Sport though.

Technical question for anyone even sadder than me (Hants?): will we be the same number ball in the draw tonight as if we had won?

Oldsmobile-88

A lot of miles next week.
I would hope the replay is on Tuesday but if it’s televised could it be on Wednesday?
With the game at Salford on the Saturday of that week that scenario would not be welcome.

Oldsmobile-88

Technical question for anyone even sadder than me (Hants?): will we be the same number ball in the draw tonight as if we had won?
I believe that is the case .

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Boston game a shoo-in for BBC coverage. We might get BT Sport though.

Yes, the numbers are allocated in the order the ties were drawn out for the previous round. Hence in 2004 our tie against Doncaster in the 2nd round was the last to be come out of the hat so we were number 64 in the 3rd round draw which Tony Cascarino famously pulled out.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Premier and Championship sides will be balls 1-44, then the rest of us will be as per the order of the 2nd round draw.