• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Hartlepool Utd FA Cup 2nd Round Official Match Day Thread

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Watching the highlights you could almost see my old flat in Springfield Rd !! If only that camera was situated in the middle of the Doble.

Blessed be the GAP !

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just saw a pig fly over my house!
I only did it to stir up g-n-h , I think the pig might have a better chance of scoring.

PeteUSA

Watching the highlights, it looks as if Maxted actually tried to punch the ball in the modern fashion. To my mind, if a keeper can't, or doesn't have the confidence to, catch a ball coming to him at waist height then he needs to find a new career
Your're quite right Ivor, Maxted had plenty of time to clutch that ball to his chest, instead of whatever that 'punch' was meant to be. Degea does that quite a lot to excellent effect but our man hasn't quite mastered it! I think Maxted is done for quite frankly, I used to moan about Hamon, but theres not a lot in it between him and Max. Hopefully this Visser character will get a start. The teams attitude and moral has gone downhill since Ward got injured.

Oh! ...a taxi for Bowman!

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wasn't there today but I'm not liking what I hear re Sweeney. He's been pretty gash all season, distribution very poor, and doesn't weigh in with the goals that he used to. Today sounded like an attitude problem which is inexcusable. I understand him getting irate if our fans are on his back but generally our fans are pretty forgiving so he needs to show greater professionalism. Personally, if I was MT I'd get rid at the first opportunity, he's just not good enough.

You get the feeling he's popular in the dressing room, one of the boys, but in footballing terms I'd go as far as to say he's the worst player in the team.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Watching the highlights, it looks as if Maxted actually tried to punch the ball in the modern fashion. To my mind, if a keeper can't, or doesn't have the confidence to, catch a ball coming to him at waist height then he needs to find a new career
Watched the highlights on BBC 2.....decent coverage but the miss by Lee Martin immediately prior to Hartlepool’s opening goal was totally inexcusable.

Steve H

That second half was as poor as anything I saw under Tisdale.... that must have been a hell of HT team talk from Taylor
Sweeney couldn't find a red shirt if he tried and while I like Sparkes today it showed that he's not a natural fullback - some of his positional play was poor. The main issue was Atanaga and Collins lost control of central midfield so taking Law off looked baffling

grecIAN Harris

Suppose you're right and he's much better suited to the left... Begs two questions... Who plays on the right and what do you do with Sparkes? Sparkes looked one of our brighter players first half.
Who plays on the right? One of three people, Richardson, Taylor or my preferred choice Lee Martin.

IndoMike

That second half was as poor as anything I saw under Tisdale.... that must have been a hell of HT team talk from Taylor
Sweeney couldn't find a red shirt if he tried and while I like Sparkes today it showed that he's not a natural fullback - some of his positional play was poor. The main issue was Atanaga and Collins lost control of central midfield so taking Law off looked baffling
Atangana got an assist and a goal : that's not a bad return. But I thought bringing on Martin and Taylor would help : what do I know?

Rosencrantz

Atangana got an assist and a goal : that's not a bad return. But I thought bringing on Martin and Taylor would help : what do I know?
I know it doesn't appear so, but the subs did make a difference. We were flat and after they came on, we created the chances that should have put us out of sight. Unfortunately Martin and Taylor missed the clear cut chances that would have put us 3 up and they go and score a screamer. Then we react badly to conceding (not for the first time this season) and let another in. Even then it was Martin (head like a 20p from Sparkes pin point cross) and Taylor (hit outside of the post) that could have won the game. It wasn't really them coming on, but possibly those who went off. Although Nicky wasn't playing well among others in second half.

IndoMike

I know it doesn't appear so, but the subs did make a difference. We were flat and after they came on, we created the chances that should have put us out of sight. Unfortunately Martin and Taylor missed the clear cut chances that would have put us 3 up and they go and score a screamer. Then we react badly to conceding (not for the first time this season) and let another in. Even then it was Martin (head like a 20p from Sparkes pin point cross) and Taylor (hit outside of the post) that could have won the game. It wasn't really them coming on, but possibly those who went off. Although Nicky wasn't playing well among others in second half.
The team's never been quite right.
We do make a lot of changes - don't know if that's good overall although I know there are some advantages doing it.
We're clearly very inconsistent, but so are the other teams in Div 2.
From what I gather we seem to be a bit shaky in defense, although Hartlepool put us under a lot of pressure and overall we seemed to defend well.
We don't need a lot of improvement : if we get Ward back and Ajose is truly fit (I have my doubts) we can make the playoffs.
Very disappointing to have let Hartlepool back into the game though and it might cost us dear. Credit to them for not giving up.