• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Crawley Town Matchday Thread

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Watching the highlights back Jake Taylor sold himself down the river which is why we were left so exposed for their goal.

Red Devon

How can 'we' look 'leggy' in the first half (i.e. tired) and in the 2nd half not.
Probably because the two players that added the energy didn’t come on until 70 minutes or so had passed, ie Richardson and LM

C j phill

On Bowman, 'he can't head and he can't shoot' yet he's scored 13 goals so far this season and should get 16-17 by the end of the season, exactly what you'd want for the type of forward that he is.
On Ajose, I can't help thinking that he would be far more effective if Matt Jay was playing rather Nicky Law. Matt's first thought when he gets the ball is always about getting the ball forward as quickly and as positively as possible which when you're trying to make runs off of the back of your marker is the sort of service you want. Nicky Law is about ball retention first so Ajose runs are often missed.
Yes. the issue with Ajose is the fact that the wide players and midfielders aren't good enough passers to spot his runs or positioning. He does make good runs but often, nothing comes to him when he's made his move.

In terms of Bowman, I think most of us accept that in League 2, teams need big lumps up front and in defence. Whatever the negatives about him, I'd prefer him to Fisher, who looks even less likely to score.

grecIAN Harris

It could be playing a part with Ward. He looks nothing like as composed and confident as before he got injured.
Are you getting the distortion problems with your internet feed that Indo Mike gets? Wardy had next to nothing to do all game and was competent and assured with what he did do. He pulled off two quality saves, particularly the one in the first half, yet you think he looks nervy.

tonykellowfan

As the L2 scoring chart shows, there are actually very few decent scorers around the lower leagues.

Bowman is way better than Fisher. Bowman is that type of forward who causes problems and creates space for others.

I think playing Ajose alongside Bowman may be part of the problem, we are conceding too much in midfield.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
YouTube highlights

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bowman at least is a physical presence and gives defenders something to think about. Ajose is powderpuff and throws a strop at the first opportunity instead of getting stuck in and making things happen.

David Treharne

It could be playing a part with Ward. He looks nothing like as composed and confident as before he got injured.
Many years aqo I broke a leg playing sport. The healing of the bone is only one part of the process. Even with the best sports physiotherapy and sports science help there remains a doubt when you start playing again about 50/50 contact. I'd say that Ward has made a remarkable recovery, and proved yesterday that he has overcome those doubts about 50-50 situations. I also think that we're lucky to have two inter-changeable goalkeepers (when Maxted is fit), a situation that hasn't happened at City for a long time. Besides, I'd be uncomfortable playing in front of Sweeney with his present form.

IndoMike

On Bowman, 'he can't head and he can't shoot' yet he's scored 13 goals so far this season and should get 16-17 by the end of the season, exactly what you'd want for the type of forward that he is.
On Ajose, I can't help thinking that he would be far more effective if Matt Jay was playing rather Nicky Law. Matt's first thought when he gets the ball is always about getting the ball forward as quickly and as positively as possible which when you're trying to make runs off of the back of your marker is the sort of service you want. Nicky Law is about ball retention first so Ajose runs are often missed.
Are you getting the distortion problems with your internet feed that Indo Mike gets? Wardy had next to nothing to do all game and was competent and assured with what he did do. He pulled off two quality saves, particularly the one in the first half, yet you think he looks nervy.
Sneaky post there, Harris. if you have something to say then say it directly, as I do with you when you go on and on about Williams not being effective on the right, even though
he is second on the assists lists and would probably be top if RB could put away more of the crosses he provides. :sneaky:

IndoMike

Yes. the issue with Ajose is the fact that the wide players and midfielders aren't good enough passers to spot his runs or positioning. He does make good runs but often, nothing comes to him when he's made his move.

In terms of Bowman, I think most of us accept that in League 2, teams need big lumps up front and in defence
. Whatever the negatives about him, I'd prefer him to Fisher, who looks even less likely to score.
Inadmissible evidence. Speculation.