• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Cheltenham Town Matchday Thread

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think in fairness to those defenders, they had a reasonable expectancy that that shot would be saved from that range.
Actually, they had a reasonable expectation first that any shot would be wide, then that it would be saved if on target. A goal was an unusual outcome in those circumstances.

This is the analytics-driven modern game. When Tis was asked at a Trust forum last year why we don't leave a striker up when we defend corners, his reply was that analysis of (IIRC) 279 corners demonstrated that overall having an extra defender worked better than forcing the opponents to leave a man back to mark our player on the halfway line.

Yes, on Monday we conceded a goal from that attack, but we won. Who's to say that if we had a tactic of more aggressive confrontation outside the box it would yield better restults?

Personally I fear this can be overdone, and leads to less entertaining football when propelled by caution, but honesty compels me to note that we are 4th in the league...

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Actually, they had a reasonable expectation first that any shot would be wide, then that it would be saved if on target. A goal was an unusual outcome in those circumstances.

This is the analytics-driven modern game. When Tis was asked at a Trust forum last year why we don't leave a striker up when we defend corners, his reply was that analysis of (IIRC) 279 corners demonstrated that overall having an extra defender worked better than forcing the opponents to leave a man back to mark our player on the halfway line.

I will never agree with this opinion. When you leave a player upfield while defending a corner or free kick the opposing team have to leave at least two players to cover our attacker. There's more space in the penalty area but the attacking side are well outnumbered. If you have someone in your side the size of Matt Jay you wonder what the point is in having him back there defending the cross. Also you deny yourself the out ball which means your clearance hands possession to the opposition. I don't like this tactic.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster

I will never agree with this opinion. When you leave a player upfield while defending a corner or free kick the opposing team have to leave at least two players to cover our attacker. There's more space in the penalty area but the attacking side are well outnumbered. If you have someone in your side the size of Matt Jay you wonder what the point is in having him back there defending the cross. Also you deny yourself the out ball which means your clearance hands possession to the opposition. I don't like this tactic.
Not that I disagree with you Billy but you sound just like my Ol' Man.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster

I so agree with your opinion.

hardi2b

Been banging on about this for ages...I too cannot agree with this strategy leaving nothing other than the long ball clearance that our midfield are unable to follow up, as a consequence we have great difficulty maintaining any sustained possession.....