• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Cheltenham Town Matchday Thread

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Deano used to play wide on the left of our midfield when he was with us first time around, did you ever consider him a winger? I doubt it. Lee Holmes is a winger. He plays his game, generally, in a corridor between the touchline and the edge of the box. With wide midfielders, I'd suggest that corridor is generally five yards inside of that. They don't tend to get as much chalk on their boots as a proper winger does.

Avening Posse

I'm studying abroad in Sydney next year, how hard is it to keep up with the footie given the time difference? Like are you usually up till about 2 if you want to catch a big game?
It's difficult, I have pretty much given up. For the majority of the season we are 11 hours ahead so a 2am kick off for the saturday games. I dont even bother trying to stay awake for those. The evening games (when 11 hour difference) are much easier as kick off at 6.45am. It is either 9 or 10 hours ahead when the clocks change. It is currently 9 which makes midnight for the saturday games, which I can just about cope with, but it makes the night games 4.45am starts................in summary it's a pain in the arse !!............great city though, which Uni are you attending ?

IndoMike

Makes me laugh that suddenly Simpson is our hero and go-to man. No disrespect to Simpson - he's a trier - but after one game + a few minutes I don't think we can say there has been a big transformation. If he can do it until the end of the season then I will be proved wrong.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Course he isn't....he's scored 2 goals in 2 seasons , no disrespect to the him because he clearly works hard

geoffwp

Makes me laugh that suddenly Simpson is our hero and go-to man. No disrespect to Simpson - he's a trier - but after one game + a few minutes I don't think we can say there has been a big transformation. If he can do it until the end of the season then I will be proved wrong.
Let's hope you are proven wrong then Mike as it's often the case that one or two players coming good can pull a team along and give a new momentum. Good for that to happen at such a crucial time.

IndoMike

Yes, of course I hope I'm wrong. I'm just saying that it's too soon to draw the conclusion that he has come back as a much improved player. I would still prefer Jay or Mac as second striker

Antony Moxey

Don’t think he is in either instance. Yesterday he worked as hard as anyone on the pitch, scored and in general played better and more effectively than Stockley. Plus he’s been out for about 18 months (so hardly surprising he’s only scored two in two years) and has rarely been used as a starter. Perhaps it’s just the crowd doing their bit to encourage a player returning from a long term injury.

PeteUSA

I thought the referee was excellent! Cheltenham certainly might have got a penalty for a clumsy defensive tackle, but he waved it on! Just watched the highlights cos was feeling depressed; didnt help!

Banksy

Let's hope you are proven wrong then Mike as it's often the case that one or two players coming good can pull a team along and give a new momentum. Good for that to happen at such a crucial time.
Agree.Maybe Simpson has found his ideal role at last.If he can take the heat off Stockley for the run in and allow him the space it's all to the good.

Red Devon

Course he isn't....he's scored 2 goals in 2 seasons , no disrespect to the him because he clearly works hard
Yes he does work very hard... great example yesterday when he tackled and won the ball from a Cheltenham player just inside their half which would have seen us break on their goal.... unfortunately the referee harshly gave a free kick against him for a foul nobody else saw.