• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Bury matchday thread

Red faced

Didn’t compete. 2nd to the ball every time. No urgency, can’t believe that when we should be taking a quick throw n up the pitch, our players aren’t even facing the play. Pumping high balls up the pitch constantly when we had zero aerial threat whatsoever and Sweeney has mastered the art of misplacing his passes when there is no pressure on him. Bury weren’t as good as some are saying. We scored an own goal and they played incredibly negative time wasting football from there on. Nicky law was a bit flat today ( although no worse than anyone else) and it just shows how much him & Jayden have carrie$ the team this season. altogether an unflattering reflection of league 2 football

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Even game where woodmans weak tackle cost us the points. Missed Martin's energy and Fortes pace and movement. Bury were a good side, well organised and with more quality up front.

Bowman improved second half but isn't going to trouble the scorers. Sweeney was the pits again and Donovan Wilson looked good enough.

Just short of the best teams in the league especially in the final 3rd

Joshyd123

How many games does Ryan Bowman have to play before it's fair enough to chuck him in the same pile of crap as the likes of Rowan Vine, Sam Parkin & Nicholas Bignall?

The less said about Sweeney the better. Surely Kane Wilson will be starting over him soon, surely. Awful game, awful atmosphere, awful tactics, awful referee, awful performance.

Last edited:

Red faced

Even game where woodmans weak tackle cost us the points. Missed Martin's energy and Fortes pace and movement. Bury were a good side, well organised and with more quality up front.

Bowman improved second half but isn't going to trouble the scorers. Sweeney was the pits again and Donovan Wilson looked good enough.

Just short of the best teams in the league especially in the final 3rd
Agree with all of this , we looked a mediocre team with no leaders today

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
How many games does Ryan Bowman have to play before it's fair enough to chuck him in the same pile of crap as the likes of Rowan Vine, Sam Parkin & Nicholas Bignall?

The less said about Sweeney the better. Surely Kane Wilson will be starting over him soon, surely. Awful game, awful atmosphere, awful tactics, awful referee, awful performance.
Worst game I've ever seen Kane Wilson have when he came on. Bad decision making and gave possession away under no pressure several times. Sweeney made a few mistakes but had a good game otherwise. I wouldn't be changing that one just yet, and Sweeney still combines well with Holmes going forward.

DB9

Was awful, Bowman is not what we need and very ineffectual, Bury killed the game off after they scored and did that brilliantly, Moxey I thought was good but the rest, Meh! First home game for ages and I wish it turned out better. On that performance, L2 football again next season, We're way off others at the top,

Joshyd123

Worst game I've ever seen Kane Wilson have when he came on. Bad decision making and gave possession away under no pressure several times. Sweeney made a few mistakes but had a good game otherwise. I wouldn't be changing that one just yet, and Sweeney still combines well with Holmes going forward.
It's clear to see Wilson is better as a defender not an unorthodox right midfielder. Seriously don't understand Matt Taylor's fascination of bringing him on in that position.

I made a point today of counting the similarities between Holmes and himself every time he got the ball, 6 times he did multiple stepovers to get the ball cut back onto his left foot and hit the first man 3 times with the resulting crosses. Stick the bloke back on the left wing where he would be more natural and confident and I'm sure his own level of performance would increase too.

dontpassback

We didn’t do enough throughput the game,not enough urgency at throw ins,and bury were more streetwise after they scored.thought bowman did well with limited service and chased well,BUT we need to get the crosses in quicker rather than faffing about looking for the perfect cross,it’s not the end of the world and we are still in the mix,but we have to step it up a gear if we are going to be serious about getting in the play offs,:)

STURTZ

We tried to reproduce our recent early pressure but whether it was we lacked Forte's control or just the fact that Bury were good we just couldn't break through. Couple of weak headers from Bowman was about it for us. Bury broke quickly and always looked a threat althould I'd say we had the bulk of the possession. Bury might have a dodgy defence but we never really tested them.
Never mind, this is a tough month, let's hope somebody can start scoring goals.

manc grecian

Sweeney had 386 attempts at crossing the ball and underhit 382 and overhit the other 4. When he moved into a back 3 he thought he was Ronald Koeman spraying 80yd passes unfortunately he sprayed them out of touch. He has the turning circle of the qe2 and couldn't even bring someone down properly and ended up in a heap.