• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City FC v Newport County AFC match day thread

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Am I reading this right, Botaeng on the bench? yet Tilson proposed to start. It was clear yesterday that playing Jake and Tilson I the middle didn't give us any creativity, we all agree Law and Lee Martin needs start.

Play Botaeng deeper centre mid, allowing Law and Martin (or Jake) to play on upfield.

Tilson is not and never will be a runner, creative or attack minded player he is however great at closing and harassing.

Boateng isn't a deep lying or holding midfielder, you either play him central midfield (with him being the one with the license to get forward) or you play him behind a striker, failing that you don't play him.

Prior to the start of the season I thought the make up of our midfield would pose the most questions and that is proving to be the case.

Last edited:

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Boateng isn't a deep lying or holding midfielder, you either play him central midfield (with him being the one with the license to get forward) or you play him behind a striker, failing that you don't play him.

Prior to the start of the season I thought the make up of our midfield would pose the most questions and that is proving to be the case.
It seems we often bypassed the midfield yesterday, Chappie.

Grecian Max

That is harsh !!
Probably :D just felt he had enough time to keep it down...

Must be said that beyond the obvious quality of Law & Martin, Forte is a superb singing. Works so hard, has loads of strength and - despite what some expected because he’s in his 30s - still very pacey. Really enjoying watching him play.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Must be said that beyond the obvious quality of Law & Martin, Forte is a superb singing. Works so hard, has loads of strength and - despite what some expected because he’s in his 30s - still very pacey. Really enjoying watching him play.
Totally agree, so refreshing to have a striker with real pace who can play on the shoulder of the last man, we need better service into him though, he was feeding off of scraps yesterday.

geoffwp

Forte is a superb singing.
Reckon he'll be a shoe in for a Karaoke session at the Christmas party.

elginCity

Agree the midfield balance appears to be a problem area, and yes, Boeteng is far more effective in a central role with license to roam. Uncharacteristic woeful defending from both Moxey and Brown within seconds of each other resulted in us being punished. No surprise given the near misses by us immediately before, as it often goes like that.

I too thought Newport are decent, played with hunger and desire, a tad early but perhaps a dark horse for promotion ?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
too thought Newport are decent, played with hunger and desire, a tad early but perhaps a dark horse for promotion ?
Not sure about that, possibly if they get lucky with injuries and referees; they are a typical middling L2 team as far as I could tell. They were reasonable on the ball, however they rarely looked like scoring, were pretty niggly and cynical and benefitted from some lenient refereeing. Scot Bennet was lucky to stay on the pitch. Their fans celebrated like they'd won.

elginCity

Funny old game, how one of theirs saw it.... (rofl)

“Very disappointed with Exeter. Under Paul Tisdale, you could rely on them playing skillful attractive football. Under the new management, they have become a team of cheats and thugs, assisted to-day by a very sympathetic ref.”

Banksy

Could have done with that team of 'cheats and thugs' and their attitude at Wembley this year (or last) , bet we'd be playing League 1 football now.

Grecian Max

Could have done with that team of 'cheats and thugs' and their attitude at Wembley this year (or last) , bet we'd be playing League 1 football now.
Have to agree.

Also, I read that comment on their forum - if anything I would have said it was the other way round yesterday! Constantly holding up play for little niggles, ref was ****e.