• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City FC v Newport County AFC match day thread

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
You are joking about heading on to floor, he burst behind two defenders and dive full length to meet Holmes cross.

Have look at again on our twitter site.
I agree squire, Stockley bust a gut to get on the end of it and made great contact, too good in fact, it was a great passage of play, superb ball in from Holmes, great fox in the box work by Stockley, top drawer save by the keeper followed up by a fine effort from Law.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think if fit both Lee Martin and Law must be found places in the starting line-up in central midfield. This means making difficult choices, such as leaving Boateng on the bench and having to choose between Taylor and Tillson as defensive midfielder (I imagine most would choose Taylpr). I also think think it's a toss-up between Moxey and Woodman at left back and that Moxey should not be considered as automatic first choice left back : I see him more as cover for A. Martin at centre back.
Agree with this.

Might be seen as negative on MT's part but would consider going 4-1-4-1 / 4-5-1 at Cambridge on Tuesday night. Tillson protecting the back four with Holmes, Law, Taylor and Martin ahead of him. Would like to see us play with two out and out wingers, and this would enable Stockley to play up top on his own more.

Would bring in Woodman for Moxey also. Defensively he was excellent against Ipswich whereas Deano was all over the place at times yesterday.

Red Monster

I agree squire, Stockley bust a gut to get on the end of it and made great contact, too good in fact, it was a great passage of play, superb ball in from Holmes, great fox in the box work by Stockley, top drawer save by the keeper followed up by a fine effort from Law.
It look very much like his goal at Morecambe,until it wasn’t (bangshead)

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just had it pointed out that the”worldy” “best ever” save might well have come off the keepers face :D

Certainly looks it from pausing the vid.

Thought we should have won yesterday but Newport playing good football to be fair to them. And... I think Law could have done better with his shot against the bar...?

Last edited:

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree with this.

Might be seen as negative on MT's part but would consider going 4-1-4-1 / 4-5-1 at Cambridge on Tuesday night. Tillson protecting the back four with Holmes, Law, Taylor and Martin ahead of him. Would like to see us play with two out and out wingers, and this would enable Stockley to play up top on his own more.

Would bring in Woodman for Moxey also. Defensively he was excellent against Ipswich whereas Deano was all over the place at times yesterday.
We certainly have the options to mix things up and I can see the benefits of going with the midfield options above however I like the threat Forte's pace gives us, he's a real danger and with Law back supplying him he may get a lot more chances, Forte had very little service yesterday. Stockley up front on his own gives us no out ball and any opposing manager with any clue whatsoever would just play a high line against us.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think Law could have done better with his shot against the bar...?
That is harsh !!

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just had it pointed out that the”worldy” “best ever” save might well have come off the keepers face :D

Certainly looks it from pausing the vid.
It was his face, or maybe his shoulder, certainly not his hand and he really knew nothing about it.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
You Tube highlights

[video=youtube;16GxxL9HZpQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16GxxL9HZpQ[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16GxxL9HZpQ

Dubai Grecian

Am I reading this right, Botaeng on the bench? yet Tilson proposed to start. It was clear yesterday that playing Jake and Tilson I the middle didn't give us any creativity, we all agree Law and Lee Martin needs start.

Play Botaeng deeper centre mid, allowing Law and Martin (or Jake) to play on upfield.

Tilson is not and never will be a runner, creative or attack minded player he is however great at closing and harassing.

As for left back would like to see more pace, controlled passing going forward, don't see that with Dean or Woodman however cant argue that defensively Dean is our best option.

Great to have choices.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Playlist for all the 12 L2 games this weekend

[video]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiAgvlJPGRcgcmiUPdcfwaKsMNkzTk_8G[/video]

Last edited: