• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ethan Ampadu

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Do we actually have any power to negotiate at all in these "negotiations". We got schoolboy rights over Ethan Ampadu, we gone we get minimum statutory rights due to us. What other than that can we hold for, can we tell Ampadu that he can't play for them?

I suppose we can beg!

denzil

.....we'll still get shafted by Chelsea over Ethan.

Gordon Dale

COlesman Ballz : We appear to have a measure of agreement. There is no doubt that ECFC Directors , for whatever reason, have chosen to frustrate full Annual Account disclosures at successive Trust AGMs and meetings. Whether they like it or not ECFC is a Trust owned club . They did'nt save the club from extinction in 2003 ...supporters did. Periodic 'state of the nation addresses' pointing up the perilous financial state of the club have not and will not inspire confidence.

Whatever the reasons for previous non disclosures , justifiable or otherwise, the Ethan Ampadu situation is completely different in that ....a sizeable slice of any sell on fee down the road could ensure the financial viability of the club for as much as ten years down the line. I am not requesting a 'ball ball commentary' but I will not be content with in the future is the stock phrase of 'undisclosed' . I know that I am not alone in expressing that view.

grecIAN Harris

Do we actually have any power to negotiate at all in these "negotiations". We got schoolboy rights over Ethan Ampadu, we gone we get minimum statutory rights due to us. What other than that can we hold for, can we tell Ampadu that he can't play for them?

I suppose we can beg!
I haven't read the EPPP rules or guidelines but from what I gather these seem to be set in stone on schooboy transfers and negotiations aren't an option. We are obviously are negotiating with Chelsea which suggests there might have been a couple of loopholes there to exploit. Firstly, Amps isn't your average schoolboy player. How many kids have made double figures in fist team appearances before they've finished school? Very, very, very few I would suggest. Maybe, and I'm only spit balling here, there is a loophole which says that if a player has already achieved double figures in first team appearances the parent club has theright to negotiate before being sent down the EPPP road. Secondly, maybe the lad (and his family) have insisted that City are looked after finanacially. Unlikely?? Maybe but we've obviously got some reason and allowance to to negotiate with Chelsea.

grecianite

Not sure if anybody has seen this article from the FSF, albeit from 2012?

"Safeguards

The first of these is to offer promising young players a pre-scholarship agreement at 14. Any youngster signed to a pre-scholarship agreement at 14 is outside the new EPPP compensation system. So the “bargain basement” for promising players doesn’t happen if Football League clubs commit to players at that age. And because compensation under EPPP rules can be based upon mutual agreement there is scope for Football League clubs to create a bidding war for a much sought after player."

http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/the-eppp-and-why-youth-development-matters

Also, again from 2012 and on the last page mention is made that when a pre-scholarship agreement is signed the EPPP formula does not apply.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj6i-SNy_rUAhWKBcAKHWazAC0QFggvMAE&url=http://www.thefa.com/~/media/C2FB1444624F4367AA477A72D94B50BF.ashx&usg=AFQjCNHN-OubMC5spCQCF2lnngUB0zCNzw

grecianite

Pobbop

The entire Ampadu saga is a clear glass half full/empty thing isn't it?

I mean I've heard about Ethan for about 5 years now, the kid has always been an immense talent that top clubs have looked at. We got lucky that Kwame was on our coaching staff so he chose to be here, he could have literally been at any club in the countries youth set-up.

So if we only get 200k (which used to be considered a big transfer in these parts) then we really should be happy with that, unlike with the other big transfers where our set-up have moulded talent to become decent footballers and we deserved cash renumeration for it, this time we've just not screwed him up, as he's an exceptional talent, Kwame was happy for him to stay with us after he left, because he knew we would be a solid foundation.

Being the eternal pessimist that I am, I never expected big money, so if we did wangle it I would be delighted.

ChrisWickens

The Trust Board have laboured hard for many a year, to get the Club Board to post full annual accounts, and I am hoping that this is in hand, when the next set are due. If not then the TB need to hoof out the door any Club Director or employee who frustrates this process.
This was being discussed more than ten years ago; what odds on it still being debated in twenty?

I am firmly of the opinion that salaries should not be disclosed (I wouldn't like my earnings to be publicised) but transfer fees and where that money is allocated should be open and transparent. If that happened as a matter of course, it would not be seen as a "big thing". Both Boards need to get their fingers out, and before 2027!

STURTZ

The entire Ampadu saga is a clear glass half full/empty thing isn't it?

I mean I've heard about Ethan for about 5 years now, the kid has always been an immense talent that top clubs have looked at. We got lucky that Kwame was on our coaching staff so he chose to be here, he could have literally been at any club in the countries youth set-up.

So if we only get 200k (which used to be considered a big transfer in these parts) then we really should be happy with that, unlike with the other big transfers where our set-up have moulded talent to become decent footballers and we deserved cash renumeration for it, this time we've just not screwed him up, as he's an exceptional talent, Kwame was happy for him to stay with us after he left, because he knew we would be a solid foundation.

Being the eternal pessimist that I am, I never expected big money, so if we did wangle it I would be delighted.
Yes let's accept that we're always going to be shafted by the premiership and their shed loads of available cash gleaned from the dubious morals of tv money, let's face it, we and all the other little teams are not really worthy to exist and should pray to the blessed Rupert Murdock every day to throw us a few crumbs.

We, for our part will continue to find new talent, coach them as best we can, give them game time and maximum coverage, so that the big boys can finally come along and give us one up the arse.

Banksy

Right on Sturtz , absolutely correct , grass roots football who cares eh?Just let it die , it's only a distraction anyway.