• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ethan Ampadu

tonykellowfan

We don't own Ampadu, christ it's a free country, he is a kid of 16. We got a massive slice of luck that he came to us, the whole thing is only beneficial for us, we show that we can develop talent, put them in the first team and wont stand in there way when they leave. Plus we will get some money for them.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
we show that we can develop talent, put them in the first team and wont stand in there way when they leave. Plus we will get some money for them.
Shouldn't be playing in in the first team until they've signed pro contracts if we're going to get shafted on their real value!

Pobbop

Yes let's accept that we're always going to be shafted by the premiership and their shed loads of available cash gleaned from the dubious morals of tv money, let's face it, we and all the other little teams are not really worthy to exist and should pray to the blessed Rupert Murdock every day to throw us a few crumbs.

We, for our part will continue to find new talent, coach them as best we can, give them game time and maximum coverage, so that the big boys can finally come along and give us one up the arse.
My point is clearly he could have gone when he was about 12, and we'd have got nowt. Think we've had decent money from Grimes and will from Ollie.

LDNGrecian

Shouldn't be playing in in the first team until they've signed pro contracts if we're going to get shafted on their real value!
He had trials with Chelsea and man united aged 14. We were bumping up his price in the eyes of a tribunal by playing him. And he is actually better than lots of our team.

IndoMike

My point is clearly he could have gone when he was about 12, and we'd have got nowt. Think we've had decent money from Grimes and will from Ollie.
But he didn't leave us when he was 12. And obviously City has made some contribution to his development, whether great or small. Why should Chelsea and the other big clubs be allowed to sit back and skim off the talent from smaller clubs? ! To any right-minded person it's clearly unfair and something has to be done about it.

Avening Posse

I share Pobbop's view on this. Ampadu is not representative of others who have come through the academy, he has been on the radar of big teams for a very long time, and unfortunately the stupid rules conspire against us. That is not to say we should not encourage others of his ilk to come through our academy though. I think we make the bread and butter (and more) from the likes of Grimes and hopefully Watkins who have not been tracked since the year dot, and also benefit in a big way fro the likes of JMT, Pym and others playing regularly for us. Having Ampadu was never a cert for us to make cash and I think deep down we all knew this, but taking positives it certainly gives serious PR to the club and will encourage others to join and develop with us. I'm sure we will benefit financially from Ampadu anyway, and maybe one day the rules will change for the likes of clubs like ours

Red Bill

I can't quite believe what I'm reading here! The thrust of it seems to be that we don't really deserve anything for Ethan as he's too good and we're just lucky that he came to us?!

So despite him being born in the city and having gone right through our academy, having just too much natural talent therefore means we deserve nothing more than the crumbs the big boys deign to throw us and it means he's different from the likes in recent times of Moxey, Friend, Grimes and Watkins who by the same logic must have had no or not enough natural talent making us deserving of some money for our efforts and outlay.

From my point of view this has to be the stupidest argument I've ever heard! We're no more just lucky that he came to his home town club's academy than we are unlucky that Lionel Messi wasn't born in Crediton or Christiano Ronaldo wasn't born on Well Street. But there you go, we're just little Exeter City from silly old Devon and its just not right or fair that someone that talented should be born here just because his father came to live and work in the City and build in him a natural affinity for the Club his father worked for.

Antony Moxey

I can't quite believe what I'm reading here! The thrust of it seems to be that we don't really deserve anything for Ethan as he's too good and we're just lucky that he came to us?!

So despite him being born in the city and having gone right through our academy, having just too much natural talent therefore means we deserve nothing more than the crumbs the big boys deign to throw us and it means he's different from the likes in recent times of Moxey, Friend, Grimes and Watkins who by the same logic must have had no or not enough natural talent making us deserving of some money for our efforts and outlay.

From my point of view this has to be the stupidest argument I've ever heard! We're no more just lucky that he came to his home town club's academy than we are unlucky that Lionel Messi wasn't born in Crediton or Christiano Ronaldo wasn't born on Well Street. But there you go, we're just little Exeter City from silly old Devon and its just not right or fair that someone that talented should be born here just because his father came to live and work in the City and build in him a natural affinity for the Club his father worked for.
Superb post Bill. I was wondering whether I was the only one thinking along the same lines as you and was going to post pretty much exactly the same right down to us being 'unlucky' that Messi wasn't born here!

MerleyRed

I share Pobbop's view on this. Ampadu is not representative of others who have come through the academy, he has been on the radar of big teams for a very long time, and unfortunately the stupid rules conspire against us. That is not to say we should not encourage others of his ilk to come through our academy though. I think we make the bread and butter (and more) from the likes of Grimes and hopefully Watkins who have not been tracked since the year dot, and also benefit in a big way fro the likes of JMT, Pym and others playing regularly for us. Having Ampadu was never a cert for us to make cash and I think deep down we all knew this, but taking positives it certainly gives serious PR to the club and will encourage others to join and develop with us. I'm sure we will benefit financially from Ampadu anyway, and maybe one day the rules will change for the likes of clubs like ours
Avening, I just fail to understand what you are arguing. Our Academy has made no less a contribution to Ethans development than any of the other players you mention, JMT, Pym etc. He may have been blessed with more natural talent that accelerated his progress, we may have been lucky that it suited his family for him to remain in this area to complete his education - so what. You seem to be arguing, as have one or two others, that we should not feel entitled to expect significant money for him, because he did not sign a Scholarship form and therefore was not actually our player. Whose player was he ? Was he somebody elses player every time he pulled on his red and white Youth team shirt, was he somebody elses player when he made his first team debut and subsequently played a number of first team games. Nobody has put obstacles in Ethans way and he has his lucrative first contract with one of the big boys, so why should we not expect to be suitably rewarded. If you do not feel that we are morally entitled to significant money for Ethan, why would you want the rules changed ?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
What Bill said.