• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

England's Ashes Test Team

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Damn. Just as I was thinking we can get to the end of today's play with Root and Denley still in, Denley goes. Fingers crossed no total collapse. Do we send in a night watchman and risk another wicket or not.
Were you thinking it was Leach time ?

geoffwp

Definitely not leach. Lower order watchman reliability could have been Woakes or Broad but I'm glad we didn't go that route. Well, I'll be glad as long as we get to end of day without further calamity.

IndoMike

Definitely not leach. Lower order watchman reliability could have been Woakes or Broad but I'm glad we didn't go that route. Well, I'll be glad as long as we get to end of day without further calamity.
Leach is a very good Watchman, Geoff. But we've got Root and Stokes anyway. New ball tomorrow morning. Australians still favourites but our team seems very focused.

IndoMike

Could it possibly be another classic "I was there" moment ?
Roller coaster game, Ballzy. Who says Test cricket is boring.

Colesman Ballz

The Sydney workplace is going to be interesting on Monday, maybe I should take the day off :cool:
Just maybe you will be able to walk tall, and hand out tissues for your work comrades to cry into ? Keep the faith a while longer !

geoffwp

Thinking about what we need from the team tomorrow. Root and Stokes to take the shine off the new ball. Root to treat tomorrow as if he is just starting his innings and go on to make a BIG century. 150 or more. Support from a patient non flailing Stokes with a good 50. Bairstow and Butler to remember it isnt a 20 over thrash and play with some real focus. We know they are good players. Ferchrissake they've done it before. These 4, playing watchfully but treating indifferent bowling accordingly, could see us home without having to rely on the tail end. It's possible even if it isnt probable. It just needs the right mindset but it's that aspect that causes doubt. Whatever happens I reckon it'll be a fascinating day. If we can get to lunch with Root and Stokes still there the atmosphere will be electric, increasing as the target decreases. Fantasy? Maybe. Nice dream tho to be able to say to the aussies " have some of that".

IndoMike

Thinking about what we need from the team tomorrow. Root and Stokes to take the shine off the new ball. Root to treat tomorrow as if he is just starting his innings and go on to make a BIG century. 150 or more. Support from a patient non flailing Stokes with a good 50. Bairstow and Butler to remember it isnt a 20 over thrash and play with some real focus. We know they are good players. Ferchrissake they've done it before. These 4, playing watchfully but treating indifferent bowling accordingly, could see us home without having to rely on the tail end. It's possible even if it isnt probable. It just needs the right mindset but it's that aspect that causes doubt. Whatever happens I reckon it'll be a fascinating day. If we can get to lunch with Root and Stokes still there the atmosphere will be electric, increasing as the target decreases. Fantasy? Maybe. Nice dream tho to be able to say to the aussies " have some of that".
200 runs is still a helluva lot to get. It is vital that Root and Stokes forget how many runs we need - still 2 full days play! - but hit the shine off that new ball. Stokes has to resist any temptation to take risks.
Their fast bowlers are very accurate and their spinner is crafty. On the other hand, their bowlers will start to get a bit tired and as we reduce the target Aussies will start to get worried.
I desperately want England to win, but it wil be like watching City : anything can happen.

IndoMike

Silly Joe Root. He couldn't be patient.

geoffwp

That is a major blow. We needed him to score very big and I can't honestly see any of the others taking that role on. Hope I'm wrong but I think the fat lady is on stage and ready.

Colesman Ballz

That is a major blow. We needed him to score very big and I can't honestly see any of the others taking that role on. Hope I'm wrong but I think the fat lady is on stage and ready.
Seems "Big Al" forgot to pack his lucky underpants for his trip to Headingly, at least as far as Joe Root is concerned !

Still don't give up on the lads just yet Geoff, only 133 more needed and over five sessions to get them, just have to hang on in there !