• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

EFL Trophy 2019/20

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
The TV people may want Salford in the final so they can salivate over the class of 92 but the amount of empty seats in the Salford end will look pretty embarrasing.
Yep, SEA, but which team apart from Pompey will take a decent number of fans?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yep, SEA, but which team apart from Pompey will take a decent number of fans?
While both Newport and ourselves have played at Wembley recently and are unlikely to take huge numbers to the final I'd like to think we'd still take considerably more than Salford. Leicester under-21's are of course an unknown qunatity.

Legohead

Banned
How could the fans of any club go to Wembley for a cup final in first team competition against the youth team of a Premier League side and take it seriously?

Exeter v Leicester U21 for example.

It would be a complete non event. A farce. In some ways I woukd like Leicester U21 to get to the final just so I could see how it all unfolded.

Maybe only then would the the EFL finally get the message that the current format is a shambles, a divisive format and start listening to fans and put it back the way it should be.

StroudGrecian

The problem is having to have the final at Wembley.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
The problem is having to have the final at Wembley.
If it has to be at Wembley it should be tickets no more than a tenner with schools/local clubs able to get free tickets to at least sell out the lower tier. This of course won't happen.

I understand the idea of playing it at a smaller venue, but if we reached the final played at say Ashton gate I don't think we would exceed 2000 so it would still be a very small crowd potentially with need to give out freebies to make it look half full.

Another option is have the final home and away over two legs which could be good, however sides don't want additional games.

I wish the u21's were taken out so that all of our fans would go if they were able to, but that isn't the case. All we can do is play the strongest side possible, allowing for anyone in desperate need of a break or carrying a knock, which I think Matt Taylor will do. Hope we can pull out a great performance and get through and see what happens if we reach the final. If we are there with only a few thousand hope they will sell them block by block to ensure whoever is there isn't dotted about around half a stadium.

Legohead

Banned
I think the EFL got lucky the other year with the game between Pompey and Sunderland. The two best supported teams in the bottom 2 tiers. Hate to imagine what a Morecambe v Forest Green final would have looked like.

iscalad

Can you imagine the w@nkfest everyone at the bbc centre in salford quay's will be having if that happens !
Why would that be?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Why would that be?
The bbc have a soft spot for Subbuteo FC ever since the ex man utd players got involved , their studio's are less than half a mile away from the ground if I remember correctly as well.

iscalad

The bbc have a soft spot for Subbuteo FC ever since the ex man utd players got involved , their studio's are less than half a mile away from the ground if I remember correctly as well.
Yes I know that but these cup matches won't be shown on the BBC.

Matt Russell

Yes I know that but these cup matches won't be shown on the BBC.
That's got to be right. The semis are on Sky?