• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

E&E defines City fans

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Anyone noticed that the City fan seems to have his **** hanging out? I would have thought that sums this piece of literary art perfectly :D
Ha ha. Wondering if it's an exewebber??? Answers as to who it might be on a postage stamp.:)

Last edited:

IndoMike

I've worked in journalism for 20-plus years. Sadly, it's at least a decade since I've worked with a proof reader.

Up until five or six years ago, journos would at least have read each other's copy before it appeared in print, but now it seems that even that is regarded as a luxury.

Sadly, these days the people who hold the purse strings are far less concerned with the quality of the stories than the quantity. :-(
It's not only grammar, either : often it gets its facts wrong or the writing is inconsistent. I realize some people don't care about the quality of writing, but if the reader starts to focus more on the errors than on the content then it needs improvement. Perhaps because it's on the net they aren't concerned about accuracy : maybe like knocking up a post on Exeweb. To be fair to DL, I have to say it does provide a lot of info that otherwise I might not see.

LOG

Not just with Devon Live but most local news sites, it always feels to me like there’s a pressure for new content to be constantly released just to keep up the click count. This means that anything and everything gets reported on, cat stuck up a tree elevated to a story of relative near-national importance, and because of the time pressure the journos are being put under the quality of the writing and checking suffers.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's not only grammar, either : often it gets its facts wrong or the writing is inconsistent. I realize some people don't care about the quality of writing, but if the reader starts to focus more on the errors than on the content then it needs improvement. Perhaps because it's on the net they aren't concerned about accuracy : maybe like knocking up a post on Exeweb. To be fair to DL, I have to say it does provide a lot of info that otherwise I might not see.
Typical example of facts wrong recent newspaper report on City’s playoff semi final win Jayden’s goal came from him following up a shot from Simmo where as we all know it was the result of him latching on to a perfectly directed header from Pierce Sweeney.

IndoMike

Typical example of facts wrong recent newspaper report on City’s playoff semi final win Jayden’s goal came from him following up a shot from Simmo where as we all know it was the result of him latching on to a perfectly directed header from Pierce Sweeney.
Yep - they make mistakes. As Log suggested above, there is pressure to get "new" news out quickly, so the writing suffers.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have just read it now and what a complete and utter load of cobblers.

IndoMike

Don't wanna go on and on about DL, but here's a funny one from today's issue

"It is recommended that tickets are bought by close of play on Wednesday for delivery".

Anyone for cricket?

Spoonz Red E

A story about marketing data which can be linked to so that every click generates ad revenue for the host sight which can then publish another story about marketing data which can be linked to so that ........

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
That Exeter chiefs fan looks a complete knobber ..... the sort that complains that his MochaLochaskinnyCrapuccino has been stirred anti clockwise !

Whereas the City fan couldn't give 2 tosses as long as his pint glass is full and his pasty is edible.

And now every has looked at the City fans **** .......... Thanks for pointing that out lol

Last edited:

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not just with Devon Live but most local news sites, it always feels to me like there’s a pressure for new content to be constantly released just to keep up the click count. This means that anything and everything gets reported on, cat stuck up a tree elevated to a story of relative near-national importance, and because of the time pressure the journos are being put under the quality of the writing and checking suffers.
Nail. On. Head.