• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Did Tisdale pick a team to lose?

Gordon Dale

Antony Moxey : Nothing . It's merely an observation as to how good , or otherwise, a team Coventry were ? Hence the totality of my second paragraph. I also watched their semi-final first keg against Notts County when , in my view, they were dire.

As to whether or not players and/or managers have ever set out to 'deliberately lose' .....I'll leave that to the historical record . Needless to say I am not comfortable with betting sponsorship of football or any sport.

Red Monster

Antony Moxey : Nothing . It's merely an observation as to how good , or otherwise, a team Coventry were ? Hence the totality of my second paragraph. I also watched their semi-final first keg against Notts County when , in my view, they were dire.

As to whether or not players and/or managers have ever set out to 'deliberately lose' .....I'll leave that to the historical record . Needless to say I am not comfortable with betting sponsorship of football or any sport.
Are you really suggesting PT his coaching which includes Matt Taylor threw a final which was live on TV
and the players were in on ?

Why the hell would he get us to Wembley and then lose, great having that on your CV.

He made one change from the Lincoln game Woodman for Simpson would Robbie have got us the win who
Knows .

Everything went in for Coventry on the day .

If we won I’m sure Tisdale would have left anyway ,with a passing shot you want me out but I got you promotion
Still .

It would have also worked in his favour with the media saying ,manager is push out after gaining promotion.

Think about it !!

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Antony Moxey : I also watched their semi-final first keg against Notts County when , in my view, they were dire.
Which begs the obvious question...
Did Mark Robins pick a team to lose?

Antony Moxey

Citing that a player should have been dismissed for a foul is no indicator whatsoever as to whether a team are any good or not. I take it you’ve seen Clive Whitehead play?

Gordon Dale

I didn't start this thread which deeply saddens me. As did the allegedly unsavoury incidents during and immediately following the Stevenage match in April and those on the 28th May when news reporters were called upon to publicly pronounce that the the language of many so called 'fans' exiting Wembley was so offensive that they were not able to broadcast a number of interviews. These events tarnish the reputation of 'my club' .

Yes I do remember TC and Clive Whitehead . I also remember many terrific players and personalities over my sixty years of support. What I do not recall is a manager to have departed in such a manner as that of PT.

Whatever our differing views there are clearly lessons to be learnt by the ECFC Board as to future contractual arrangements and the management of the departure of any team manager . Unfortunately,faced with the rolling contract and the club's financial constraints dismissal or gardening leave were clearly not options.

I shall not be responding further. There is no point.

Red Monster

I shall not be responding further. There is no point.
That’s the most sensible think you’ve said .

Last edited:

ExeterCityLad

Are you really suggesting PT his coaching which includes Matt Taylor threw a final which was live on TV
and the players were in on ?

Why the hell would he get us to Wembley and then lose, great having that on your CV.

He made one change from the Lincoln game Woodman for Simpson would Robbie have got us the win who
Knows .

Everything went in for Coventry on the day .

If we won I’m sure Tisdale would have left anyway ,with a passing shot you want me out but I got you promotion
Still .

It would have also worked in his favour with the media saying ,manager is push out after gaining promotion.

Think about it !!
1) Absolutely. Without a doubt. It ensures the contract that was already verbally agreed with MK Dons, meant he could grab Exeter City's best defender free of charge - What a good start that looks like for him. He was in on it, not the players. Hence the tactics. It was pretty obvious from the get-go. And player changes throughout the gain were atrocious - He had no intention of winning that game.

2) Who cares about his CV? He was already going to his next job, and if he gets sacked, his large wedge he'll receive from the termination of his rolling contract will keep him going for ages - Plus he probably won't even join another team after MK, he'll go into fashion with Ted Baker like was originally planned.

Curley

Or maybe just like us against AFC Wimbledon you were just utterly and hopelessly ****e on the day?

STURTZ

Or maybe just like us against AFC Wimbledon you were just utterly and hopelessly ****e on the day?
Hate to agree but probably the truth.

LOG

1) Absolutely. Without a doubt. It ensures the contract that was already verbally agreed with MK Dons, meant he could grab Exeter City's best defender free of charge - What a good start that looks like for him. He was in on it, not the players. Hence the tactics. It was pretty obvious from the get-go. And player changes throughout the gain were atrocious - He had no intention of winning that game.

2) Who cares about his CV? He was already going to his next job, and if he gets sacked, his large wedge he'll receive from the termination of his rolling contract will keep him going for ages - Plus he probably won't even join another team after MK, he'll go into fashion with Ted Baker like was originally planned.
His first sub was an attacking one, Jay for Woodman, then he brought on James for Moxey (i might give you that one but Moxey was having a shocker anyway) and then Edwards for Boateng, again an attacking substitution. He must have been bricking it when Edwards only went and scored. Aarrghhh, this wasn’t in the script!!!

But wait, we played so well in the second leg of the play-offs and then we were rubbish in the final. This all points to a deliberate ploy to waste everyone’s time just by getting to the final and then to deliberately lose, Shirley?

Well, let’s have a look at our previous play-off semis under Tisdale first to see if there’s a pattern. Oxford away, we went into the match a goal behind from the first leg, put on a great performance, pulled it around then won on penalties. Torquay away, we went into the match a goal behind then went a further goal behind. Then, in one of the best comebacks I’ve seen from City, we scored four to win on aggregate. Carlisle, six goals for us over the two legs and eleven in total which we won by the odd one, a screamer from Jack Stacey in the 90th minute.

In each final that followed, I can honestly say that I don’t think we played very well at all, even against Cambridge, and we certainly didn’t play with the same freedom and pace as the match before. Were these all deliberate tactics to try to lose as well? Who was sniffing around at the time of those games? You do understand that in competitive sport there's always someone trying to stop you doing what you want to do and/or to do it better than you, right?

But anyway, the crux of your argument is that by losing Tisdale could go to MK and sign JMT for nowt. Win or lose he could’ve gone there anyway so that can be discounted which just leaves signing JMT. There you have it, conclusive proof that Tisdale set us up to lose not so that he could go to MK but so that he could go there and sign a centre back.

Case closed.