• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Diabolical service - name and shame

St George

Oggies pasty shop in the guildhall,lovely pasties but all the staff are thick as sh*t. We ate in one sunday, wouldn't heat up my son's baby food (which is the norm in most places due to health and safety) but we were given a large jug of hot water to heat the food, very safe! But the jug was too full so the food container just bobbed about and water spilt over the edge so i asked 3 young members of staff a couple of times to tip some water away which none of them understood. The food was on really small plates so every time we cut anything food went everywhere. The waitress scribbled our order so when we went to pay they couldn't read it so we had to wait till they worked it out ignoring us telling them what we had, never again. Yesterday my wife got us a pasty each to take away, medium and large. She asked which bag had which pasty in and the lady behind the till snapped "The're both the same size"!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
No freebies and bribes to stop me writing to Nicky Campbell.
My Mum actually threatened Tesco with Watchdog...

Having seen their blurb for a loan with a fantastic rate, my Mum decided to take advantage. She applied, only to be turned down for the fantastic rate due to "poor credit rating", and was instead offered a loan at a far worse rate.

Now, my Mum is someone who has never had a bad debt in her life. Pays her Credit Card in full each month, never missed or been late with a payment (I could deffo learn a thing or two from her on this score!!!). So this news was just a bit of a shock, and as a result she contacted Experian and the other agency (can't remember its name).

Sure enough, her credit score was perfect, so she went back to Tesco with this evidence, and threw in the "W" word. Lo and behold she was given the fantastic rate, along with masses of free vouchers 'n' stuff.

Phil Sayers

Very well known Exeweb poster
FGW shamelessly lying to passengers to avoid the blame for their own mistake.

We got the 11.40 out of Truro on Saturday and as the train left the station it moved a few metres then stopped again for about ten minutes. During that time they apologised for the delay which they said had been caused by a passenger boarding at the last minute after the despatcher had given the signal to go. Apparently this caused a problem with one of the doors.

The train moved again but stopped once more for perhaps another ten minutes just before it reached St Austell. This time we were told it was for signalling purposes. After St Austell but before Par it again stopped with no explanation and when it did get to Par it didn't move. Eventually an announcement was made that they had no choice but to cancel the service due to the incident at Truro but that they recommended everyone stayed on the train. We did for a while but then we got off and stood on the platform while we considered our options for getting to Plymouth.

It slowly dawned on us and the other people milling around who had done the same thing (including another City fan and his two small children who were hilariously hurling banter at every garg in sight) that something wasn't stacking up. We must have had people from every carriage but nobody had seen somebody try to board at the last minute and furthermore all the doors seemed to be working. Some bloke then went on what I presume was the FGW website to look for train times and noticed that the reason for the cancellation was put as being "staff shortages". He then raised this with an FGW employee (I presume from the station as he hadn't been briefed on the cover story) who confirmed the train was cancelled because there wasn't a guard on board.

He must have realised he had said something he shouldn't have as he then very helpfully told everyone stood there that rather than going back on the train if we stayed on the platform the Newquay branch line train would be along shortly. He added he wasn't meant to be publicising it due to concerns about a crush when it did arrive but we should all be able to fit on board; which we did leaving those who had stayed on the train as ordered rushing off it to see if they could pile in and being told that they weren't allowed on.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
My Mum actually threatened Tesco with Watchdog...

Having seen their blurb for a loan with a fantastic rate, my Mum decided to take advantage. She applied, only to be turned down for the fantastic rate due to "poor credit rating", and was instead offered a loan at a far worse rate.

Now, my Mum is someone who has never had a bad debt in her life. Pays her Credit Card in full each month, never missed or been late with a payment (I could deffo learn a thing or two from her on this score!!!). So this news was just a bit of a shock, and as a result she contacted Experian and the other agency (can't remember its name).

Sure enough, her credit score was perfect, so she went back to Tesco with this evidence, and threw in the "W" word. Lo and behold she was given the fantastic rate, along with masses of free vouchers 'n' stuff.

Well done, your mum. Pretty smart cookie [y]

mammooman

Car Parts Market, Redruth.

My car was vandalised a few days back, the passenger side wing mirror glass being smashed, but the surround ok. So I went on t'internet to buy some replacement glass, the stick on kind which just sticks on the hard plastic directional servo thing.

I currently have a 97' Mazda 323F Executive (what the executive means I have no idea - it's no where near 'executive'!) so behold an item being advertised follows 'MAZDA 323F 1994-1998 WING CONVEX MIRROR GLASS', perfect.

2 days pass and the item arrives in the post, get tools to break off remaining glass on the wing mirror, go to attach the new one..."bu66er, this doesnt fit". When I say 'doesnt fit' I dont mean the glass is a tad too big, I mean it's bigger than the plastic surround itself and would need a good inch off the edge.
Now I check the package, labelled as advertised (ie, they had sent the part that I ordered) and still unopened. So I shot an email off to the company with a description of what had happened, my order reference, the item/stock number with description along with photos of the product held infront the wing mirror, my car make, model and first letter of the number plate (to show I had ordered the correct part) and the product they had sent. The emailed me back to state that they would send the correct one in the post, annoying that I have to wait for a replacement but these things happen right.

So now a week has gone without a passenger side functioning wing mirror. I got the replacement today. They had sent exactly the same one. Even though I had sent them the part number and a photo of the part stating that this does not fit they chose to ignore this. I sent them another email today stating I would like my money back as they seem incapable of sending me the correct part and listening to my complaint to which they returned saying all parts are advertised correctly and it is customer error.

Ok, it's not a major complaint I know. Nothing overly serious. I'll sell the items on myself on ebay or similar, may lose a few quid, hey ho. But my biggest issue was their complete inability to listen to what the customer was saying. I told them that particular part wouldnt fit - backed up with photos, I told them that the part is advertised wrong, I asked them if they did have the correct part which they said they did (that turned out to be the same friggin one,) I asked them if my car make/model was supported and they said it was. It was their complete lack of common sense in using the information I was telling them to improve and make accurate their product database and identifying problems with their stock.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Tesco yet again

Wife does her shopping Friday's and usually comes to about £200 for our lot, So everything goes through the till and the amount is £182 which is good for us puts her card in and tries to pay the woman on the till says its been declined due to lack of funds so her being embarressed with other people around her looking at her pulls my card out and pays with mine the payment all goes through without any problem.
Got home from shopping last night and decided to ring the bank to see how much was in her account and low and behold not only have Tesco taken the money from her account they have also taken the same amount from mine !
Rang the store spoke to the duty manager and they say there is nothing they can do for 5 days as "the money is in limbo" and once the error is worked out between the store and the bank the money will be credited bank into one or other account.
Just aswell mine had enough money in it or she would have to start putting stuff back making her feel even more like the ground should open up as there seems to be nothing worse for a woman to have to do that with other people looking on and smirking

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Grecian Players parent company.

Couldn't get any live commentary for one match. Made a written complaint. They offered nothing in compensation, when I demanded 1 weeks free access in compensation for it they eventually reluctantly agreed. I then cancelled my Direct Debit and instead of allowing me my one week of free access they locked me out.

I voted with my feet and will not be supporting them ever again despite how much I want to know how the team are doing.

Taz

Comet in Exeter

I was after a vacuum cleaner that was bagless so that I could save money on buying vacuum bags to just throw away when full, any way the guy recommends a Hoover hurricane which is bagless, you just open the top and tip the dust etc.. in to the bin! Perfect, or so you would think...

Anyhow after 4 (very impressive) uses of this machine the unit stops working as well... all the suction is there but its not picking up dog hairs from the carpet... and on inspection I realise that the brush under the unit is no longer rotating. I take it back to Comet and wait at the customer desk while a 'bulky' man wearing glasses is typing away on the computer, I wait for about 5 minutes whilst ths man (who turns out to be the customer service manager) finally acknowledges me. I tell him my problem and present him with a receipt and without the slightest bit of professionalism just says theres nothing they can do as I have to call Hoover customer service, I then explain I work full time and trying to find time to call during there office hours (Mon -Fri : 9am - 5pm) is almost impossible as the instructions say to have the unit with you when calling! Am I suppose to lumber my hoover to work and back? So he says that he will ring (bearing in mind its 7pm now) which he does and then informs me that the Hoover customer service is shut... DUH! He refuses to swap the machine (as I don't request a refund as I need a hoover) as its been used... After all this he actually then finally looks at the unit and says, the belts broken... its a common fault you can buy a new one for £7. So not only am I mis-sold an item that I clearly told the salesman I wanted to save money on by not having to buy consumables but Comet refuse to do anything about it!

AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Taz, you have a very good case under the sale of goods act. You shouldn't have to buy a new belt. They should last a few years, unless therefore the item is unfit for purpose.

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
Focus DIY. Every bloody time.