• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Danny Coles unhappy with fans today

Ian Tarr

The funniest thing of all on this thread is the assertion that poor Danny Coles has been forced to play through injury for two years.

Virtually all players -- OK, apart from a few Winston Bogardes or Robbie Turners -- willingly play though injuries simply because they want to be a part of the team. You can be pretty sure that there is continuous assessment of situations like this. Managers will make compromises at times for the good of the team, and occasionally the results might be regrettable for the player concerned. But there are few black or white situations. And the idea that our physios are so useless at their jobs -- hinted at by omission in some posts -- is a tad insulting, too.

Danny Coles is no exception. Whatever his limitations as a player -- and all players at our level have limitations of one sort or another -- he quite demonstrably does his best for us. Maybe some don't think his best is good enough, but I can't honestly see how he can be accused of being anything less than 100% committed to the cause. For that, IMO, he deserves our respect.

And in this age of Twitter, if he reacts to severe criticism in a way that one or two poor, precious, souls take offence at, I personally find it hard to condemn him. It is an inevitable truth, and always has been, that professional footballers have a damn good laugh at some of the twaddle that is written about them. In this day and age, though, when ridiculous opinions somehow take on a false mantle of truth, it must be hard to bite your lip and say nothing.

jabba the gut

I'm afraid I didn't suggest Tisdale was an Infidel, nor that he had smited the faithful, nor that he had showed the true extent of his deviousness and cunning. It was yet another little dig at his critics which in my opinion serves little purpose and does him no favours. That you either try to twist the point, or suggest that it wasn't a dig is just bizarre...
That's fair comment. I apologise for misinterpreting you. Some of the criticism here is so absurd that it can be a tough ask interpreting the motivation behind certain remarks. I was getting a little exasperated with the general feeding frenzy of the usual suspects and you got caught up in my reaction, which was unfair of me.

As for the knee injury...my comment was as follows "I'm sorry to hear Coles is injured but I'm not convinced the injury has made any difference to his inability to pass the ball or apparently provide any leadership on the pitch...". Coles used to hoof the ball rather than pass it before his injury and I maintain that his injury makes no difference to his inability on that front as with his apparent lack of leadership on the pitch in my opinion.
We'll have to disagree on that. I won't deny that Coles is prone to lumping the ball forward when there are better options, but it must surely be the case that an injury severe enough to need surgery has affected his form. He isn't especially mobile at the best of times - the effects of the injury will have exacerbated that and probably but extra doubt in his mind in certain situations.

I've never been convinced by the arguments about leadership that are often made in discussions about football at all clubs and at all levels. It's a topic that frequently comes up and generally seems to be an accusation levelled at players who don't shout at their team-mates in an ostentatious manner. Matt Taylor used to be regularly accused of lacking leadership on exeweb at one time because he was believed to be quiet on the pitch, as did Rob Edwards.

Last edited:

jabba the gut

No, it is a two way street, I have not condemned any labels either way.

I just find your Taliban comment rather weird, that is all, pretty simple really.
That would be a "no" then.

jabba the gut

The funniest thing of all on this thread is the assertion that poor Danny Coles has been forced to play through injury for two years.

Virtually all players -- OK, apart from a few Winston Bogardes or Robbie Turners -- willingly play though injuries simply because they want to be a part of the team...
I'm told this is an accusation that has followed Nardiello around too. He does seem remarkably sprightly for someone who has missed so many games through injury in his career.

Excellent post by the way - but I think you know how it's going to be received in certain quarters.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
That would be a "no" then.
**** me, a one liner from Jabba, I'm off out to check on a sighting of the Pan Starrs Comet......

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
And in this age of Twitter, if he reacts to severe criticism in a way that one or two poor, precious, souls take offence at, I personally find it hard to condemn him. It is an inevitable truth, and always has been, that professional footballers have a damn good laugh at some of the twaddle that is written about them. In this day and age, though, when ridiculous opinions somehow take on a false mantle of truth, it must be hard to bite your lip and say nothing.
The people condemning him for that are just using anything they can against the manager. I think your opinion about whether it was right to do it or not depends squarely on whether you agree with the fans booing or not, not whether you think it was"professional". As professional misdemeanours go, it's fairly excusable. I would personally be more worried if the player and manager couldn't care less what the fans thought. if you want passion, there it is.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
**** me, a one liner from Jabba, I'm off out to check on a sighting of the Pan Starrs Comet......
A hundred lengthy posts are better than thousands of shorter ones saying the same thing over and over. Jabba is more articulate than most on here.

SageoftheAxe

Given Tisdale has now admitted Baldwin has been carrying an injury for some time and has needed an injection this week, it may be less surprising that Coles started against Bury and perhaps explains why JMT was preferred against Stanley?

SOTA

Fareham Grecian

Virtually all players -- OK, apart from a few Winston Bogardes or Robbie Turners -- willingly play though injuries simply because they want to be a part of the team. You can be pretty sure that there is continuous assessment of situations like this. Managers will make compromises at times for the good of the team, and occasionally the results might be regrettable for the player concerned. But there are few black or white situations. And the idea that our physios are so useless at their jobs -- hinted at by omission in some posts -- is a tad insulting, too.

Danny Coles is no exception. Whatever his limitations as a player -- and all players at our level have limitations of one sort or another -- he quite demonstrably does his best for us. Maybe some don't think his best is good enough, but I can't honestly see how he can be accused of being anything less than 100% committed to the cause. For that, IMO, he deserves our respect.

Great post.

jabba the gut

Given Tisdale has now admitted Baldwin has been carrying an injury for some time and has needed an injection this week, it may be less surprising that Coles started against Bury and perhaps explains why JMT was preferred against Stanley?

SOTA
This just gets better and better.