• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2016

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
20 wickets already on day 1 at the County Ground. Somerset may have some explaining to do as this is getting too common.

Last edited:

Colesman Ballz

20 wickets already on day 1 at the County Ground. Somerset may have some explaining to do as this is getting too common.
Given that it ended with 21, and another 17 on day two, maybe they deliberately prepared "a result pitch" to keep their slender title hopes alive ?

Either way they must have been "bricking it" after opting to bat first and being skittled for 85 all out by lunchtime !

Alistair20000

Given that it ended with 21, and another 17 on day two, maybe they deliberately prepared "a result pitch" to keep their slender title hopes alive ?

Either way they must have been "bricking it" after opting to bat first and being skittled for 85 all out by lunchtime !
I understand it is a very tired used pitch which was greened up a bit. Warwickshire are still not completely out of winning mind. Plenty of better pitches than this one have brought points deductions in the past but it does not appear that Somerset will be punished.

I think it was 95 all out not 85.

Last edited:

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
it does not appear that Somerset will be punished.
Fingers crossed. Apparently an observer was sent down to Taunton to view the second day's play. Warwicks had us out for 95 in the first innings and still couldn't win! It would serve them right for beating us in the "Nat West".

Tresco has just beaten the Somerset record for catches by an outfield player.

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I only went to day 1 at Taunton as I had car trouble preventing me from going to either today's play or yesterdays. I wouldn't be suprised if the pitch inspectors look at the pitch with great interest after 2 games have finished incredibly early, even by todays standards of course I hope that they don't deduct points away from us. My Somerset membership has definately been worth every penny this year as we have had some real crackers up at the county ground.& of course this puts us in with a chance of the title but it is a massive game against Yorkshire next week & back at Headingley.

Alistair20000

Good win for Middlesex today (clap) as that looked a tricky chase batting last on a 240 run per innings pitch.

I don't think Somerset can win now with the structure of the remaining fixtures but no doubt another "sporting pitch" will be prepared for the last game against relegated Notts. Looks like the relevant scene for the final round of games will be Lord's for the top two to fight it out.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Naturally this week as well as a win for Middx I'm hoping for Somerset to win a low scoring encounter with Yarkshire to mean we pretty much just have to turn up at Lord's next week (or for it to rain for four days continuously).

Alistair20000

Naturally this week as well as a win for Middx I'm hoping for Somerset to win a low scoring encounter with Yarkshire to mean we pretty much just have to turn up at Lord's next week (or for it to rain for four days continuously).
Going well for you so far Jason. Yaarkshire's batting has let them down but maybe their bowlers could skittle the Cidermen ?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
We buckled a bit this morning but now have Lancashire 6/3 off 7.4 overs.

EDIT: Make that 6/4 off 7.5!

Last edited:

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Somerset looking set for just short of a maximum point win. Missed out on last batting point by ten runs, but Yorkshire now struggling three down in their second innings. Middlesex on top in their match, but if that somehow ended up a draw or more unlikely a Lancashire win then the last round of games would be very interesting.