• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Covid

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
I know two former work colleagues who were hospitalised in the first wave, one in his 40’s the other in his 50’s. In that first wave hardly anyone I knew got the virus. With omicron nigh on everyone I know is now getting it and not one person has come anywhere near being hospitalised.
My original point to ITBB is that he comparing apples and pears when we talk about the current wave and the previous ones.
For some reason there are people citing the more benign effects of this current Covid wave and using it to suggest we should have treated previous more dangerous waves the same.
Its revisionist claptrap.
Spot on Tavy.

InTheBigBank

Resigned
I know two former work colleagues who were hospitalised in the first wave, one in his 40’s the other in his 50’s. In that first wave hardly anyone I knew got the virus. With omicron nigh on everyone I know is now getting it and not one person has come anywhere near being hospitalised.
My original point to ITBB is that he comparing apples and pears when we talk about the current wave and the previous ones.
Agreed.

If there was an argument against NPI's, it is only amplified now.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I know someone who hasn't got any underlying conditions who got Covid before Xmas just before he was due his booster and needed hospital treatment and is still not really back right now so potentially could have long covid. You cannot always tell how it will affect a person.

Mr Jinx

Arden still entertaining the fool's errand that is Zero Covid I see.

Also, poor Meatloaf succumbed, but again it's quite foolish to be in your seventies, that size and not be vaccinated. RIP.

DB9

Also, poor Meatloaf succumbed, but again it's quite foolish to be in your seventies, that size and not be vaccinated. RIP.
Not quite Jinxy, From the BBC website:

"But since the emergence of the Delta variant, Ms Ardern has switched from a total Covid elimination strategy to pushing for higher vaccination rates and treating the virus as endemic."

I'd thought this new lockdown she's imposing is totally unessacary, They have a good rate of vaccine uptake and surely they looked at other countries who've had the Omicron variant and seen it is a much milder version and the vaccine does reduce the worst of it?

angelic upstart

What are the Aussies doing now?

Alistair20000

Thrashing us at cricket :(

DB9

Not much, Ms Arden is a New Zealander.

angelic upstart

Not much, Ms Arden is a New Zealander.
I meant they were very strict on the lockdowns too. Have they loosened up?

DB9

I meant they were very strict on the lockdowns too. Have they loosened up?
Think like New Zealand they were easing off things but now with Omicron going around they seem to be scared wittless again, Zero Covid is not an option, Living with it has to be the way forward now and it looks like here in Europe we're being "Spoon Fed" that this how we get back to normal.