• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Covid

InTheBigBank

Resigned
So the really catchy variant is not catching in hospitals? Or is no one going to the hospital now?
My point is:

I'm guessing Tavy is reading a stat somewhere which states that 20% of infections end up in hospital beds.

This seems far far too high. If that is correct each and every one of us should know a handful of people who ended up in ICU.

I suspect that the real data is 20% of patients are in hospital with Covid because they were already there anyway for something totally unrelated, and they happen to have tested positive.

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
My point is:

I'm guessing Tavy is reading a stat somewhere which states that 20% of infections end up in hospital beds.

This seems far far too high. If that is correct each and every one of us should know a handful of people who ended up in ICU.

I suspect that the real data is 20% of patients are in hospital with Covid because they were already there anyway for something totally unrelated, and they happen to have tested positive.

I take your point, I do know two that have been hospitalised. I'd guess the older you are, the more likely you're going to know folk that become seriously ill.

iscalad

I take your point, I do know two that have been hospitalised. I'd guess the older you are, the more likely you're going to know folk that become seriously ill.
I know one in hospital now in his early thirties.

Mr Jinx

Yes it does. Of all the many people we have known to have caught it, the only two had to go to hospital were both obese. Anecdotal, but nowhere near 20%. We are an obese nation mind especially when you leave the confines of the M25 which we rarely venture outside these days.

Grecian2K

Is Dr Steve James the anaesthetist?
Well, his rantings send me to sleep!

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Yes it does. Of all the many people we have known to have caught it, the only two had to go to hospital were both obese. Anecdotal, but nowhere near 20%. We are an obese nation mind especially when you leave the confines of the M25 which we rarely venture outside these days.
Two of my uncles have been hospitalised, both without other conditions.

Mr Jinx

Two of my uncles have been hospitalised, both without other conditions.
OK sorry to hear that, but that would be 2 out of the how many of ppl you know that have had it?

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
OK sorry to hear that, but that would be 2 out of the how many of ppl you know that have had it?
We are nearly at a stage now where most people I know have tested positive at some point - I don't know anyone who has gone to hospital with it.

Mr Jinx

Well, his rantings send me to sleep!
Ha, ha, but he certainly wasn't ranting on GB News. Very measured he was, whilst all the others were doing the ranting.

He's somewhat reluctantly become a poster boy. Bit like an inverse Leonardo DiCaprio (from Don't Look Up).

tavyred

I know two former work colleagues who were hospitalised in the first wave, one in his 40’s the other in his 50’s. In that first wave hardly anyone I knew got the virus. With omicron nigh on everyone I know is now getting it and not one person has come anywhere near being hospitalised.
My original point to ITBB is that he comparing apples and pears when we talk about the current wave and the previous ones.
For some reason there are people citing the more benign effects of this current Covid wave and using it to suggest we should have treated previous more dangerous waves the same.
Its revisionist claptrap.

Last edited: