• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Coventry City vs Exeter City - Match Day Thread

citylad60

In retrospect team set-up and consequent performance seem to be a Liverpool replay, Blackpool, in fact any significant game redux (in modern parlance), one wonders if the great tactician and advisers really wanted to win for what ever reason. Was ambivalent to Tis go or stay, but, tending toward go....shame ;(
For me it was like going to a posh restaurant, paying £40 for a meal and being served a load of crap. Then going back a year later, paying the same for the same meal, hoping for a change with the same result.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Boateng in the team of the play offs by the EFL.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The final 360 of the season

[video=youtube;84q3-Rhn7os]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84q3-Rhn7os[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84q3-Rhn7os

Andy Holloway

I've just sat through the recording of the game and to be honest i don't think we played that bad, certainly miles better than last year that's for sure. There were some very good spells when we had Coventry on the back foot and could easily have gone in at half time at least 1 - 0 up.
For anybody who has it on saved, go to approx 30 minutes and look at that straight arm attack on JMT by Doyle, how the ref and official missed it i don't know. Also they said that the officials had looked at it and decided that there was no offence committed! It was a blatant foul and bordering on dangerous play. A straight red card wouldn't have been out of place, as when you watch it in slow motion Doyle looks directly towards JMT, then steps towards him, lifts his arm and strikes! There was clear intention to commit a foul.
Had that incident gone differently Coventry would have been a completely team to play against, especially on a hot afternoon, no it wasn't a penalty as the incident occurred just outside the penalty area but at the very least a yellow and a free kick.
But you can't take anything away from the Coventry goals, they were good and well taken, No 2 was possibly a bit lucky with the deflection but No 3 was very well taken. If you're gonig to loose a game those are the goals you want to loose to, not some scrappy tap in from almost on the line after a scramble!
As i said before 'ON THE DAY' we lost to a better team, but to say we played badly is a total misconception, we certainly equaled Coventry in lots of areas, and were better in some as well, but 'ON THE DAY' they were just that bit better.
My stand-out player from watching the game live and on record was undoubtedly Jordon Storey, i hope we can keep him for another year or more, depending on his contract, he is our future.

haka

The final 360 of the season
Regardless of the final result, I'd just like to thank the people who put these 360s together. For those of us who can't get to games, it's a real treat (well, usually!). Cheers.

Stelios

I've just sat through the recording of the game and to be honest i don't think we played that bad, certainly miles better than last year that's for sure. There were some very good spells when we had Coventry on the back foot and could easily have gone in at half time at least 1 - 0 up.
For anybody who has it on saved, go to approx 30 minutes and look at that straight arm attack on JMT by Doyle, how the ref and official missed it i don't know. Also they said that the officials had looked at it and decided that there was no offence committed! It was a blatant foul and bordering on dangerous play. A straight red card wouldn't have been out of place, as when you watch it in slow motion Doyle looks directly towards JMT, then steps towards him, lifts his arm and strikes! There was clear intention to commit a foul.
Had that incident gone differently Coventry would have been a completely team to play against, especially on a hot afternoon, no it wasn't a penalty as the incident occurred just outside the penalty area but at the very least a yellow and a free kick.
But you can't take anything away from the Coventry goals, they were good and well taken, No 2 was possibly a bit lucky with the deflection but No 3 was very well taken. If you're gonig to loose a game those are the goals you want to loose to, not some scrappy tap in from almost on the line after a scramble!
As i said before 'ON THE DAY' we lost to a better team, but to say we played badly is a total misconception, we certainly equaled Coventry in lots of areas, and were better in some as well, but 'ON THE DAY' they were just that bit better.
My stand-out player from watching the game live and on record was undoubtedly Jordon Storey, i hope we can keep him for another year or more, depending on his contract, he is our future.
I haven't watched the game back but if I recall our best spell in the 1st half was when they went down to 10 men so one of their players could get stitches? Cov just sat back for 5-10 minutes and allowed us to come forward.

0-0 was fair enough at half time but how many saves did their keeper make? How many chances did we create? Coleman's comments at H/T in the studio were very telling. Stockley isolated. Not enough support. No runners from midfield.

We 'played it safe' yet still ended up 0-3 down to a half decent side. They were nothing special (just like Blackpool). It doesn't get much worse than that.

I agree the red card was nasty but it needed a slo-mo to see it clearly. I think he meant it and knew what he was doing but there wasn't enough of an exaggerated swing of the elbow for the ref to give a straight red. I do think it was a red card offence though.

We did not equal Coventry at all and we certainly did play badly. How you can say we were "miles better than last year" is beyond me. Both we abject at best.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
At no point was Coventry on the back foot - City was poor on the day & Coventry won comfortably, can’t remember there making a save in the whole game

Last edited:

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
At no point was Coventry on the back foot - City was poor on the day & Coventry won comfortably, can’t remember there making a save in the whole game
Agree....we were just sooo slow and moved the ball even slower it took us to 80 odd minutes to show any kind of urgency and it was to late by then.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I'd like to see that Jordan Storey tackle on the edge of the box early in the first half again.