• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Club Cricket 2018

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Some friendly looking bowling too with some juicy full to55es and long hops. Maybe I should not have retired. :)
I reckon I could uproot your middle stump within two balls !!! (moonie)

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I reckon I could uproot your middle stump within two balls !!! (moonie)
Oooh. Isn't he bold.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
What really should have happened last week is happening this week - I've been "rested" with my knee still sore and will umpire the 2s instead, unless there are late drop outs. Judging by the make up of the first 3 XIs and that the 4th XI selection has not been published, I assume we're just running three sides this week.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Zak Bess of Sidmouth CC recently turned out for Hants 2nd XI against Somerset.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
What really should have happened last week is happening this week - I've been "rested" with my knee still sore and will umpire the 2s instead, unless there are late drop outs. Judging by the make up of the first 3 XIs and that the 4th XI selection has not been published, I assume we're just running three sides this week.
I was very relieved to see the oppo also had an umpire - 100 overs doing both ends might have killed me! As it was our relegation was confirmed with defeat to Chessington - they scored 230 and with our batting line up decidedly weak we needed a couple of players to really come off, but several got starts without going on and we were bowled out for 160-odd. I had to give three LBWs - two against the oppo, one against us, and earned very positive reviews for my performance. Our 1s umpire, with their game over well before ours so was watching the last hour or more of play, suggested I do my badges and take up umpiring, but I like to think I've still got a few years ahead of me on the pitch before that eventuality!

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I used to open for my club, and had a strong incentive to bat as long as possible. When I got out, I would find myself umpiring within about five minutes. There also tended to be a shortage of volunteers to come out and spell me later on. Maybe my umpiring was that good! :)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I used to open for my club, and had a strong incentive to bat as long as possible. When I got out, I would find myself umpiring within about five minutes. There also tended to be a shortage of volunteers to come out and spell me later on. Maybe my umpiring was that good! :)
Ha - sounds familiar.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Umpiring or scoring, which is worse ?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Umpiring or scoring, which is worse ?
I enjoy both - but then as a City supporter, I am something of a masochist.

Umpiring uses up a lot more nervous energy, though.

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Strange, but ultimately excellent, day to round off another season.

On my way to our home ground to play in the 2s against Sanderstead, my car developed a puncture. So I hobbled to the ground on three good tyres, parked up then was looking online to see if I could get someone out to fit a new tyre when the 2s skip pulled up. "You're in the 1s, aren't you?" First I'd heard of it, so he rang up the 1s skipper who realised he'd completely forgotten to let me know I'd been called up! Fortunately there was someone else who'd been called up that morning who was able to stop by and pick me up.

So we got to the ground about 45 minutes into the match, we were 1 down, I was due in at 6. Fortunately our 2nd wicket pair put on 130, I had a brief cameo where I scored 4 (a delightful flick off my legs off Merstham's overseas player), was credited with 5 in the scorebook (a no ball above waist high hit me on the arm but I was given the single we ran), and is now 6 on the Play Cricket site. I'll take that. We scored 222 off our 50.

Then, with their opener, captain and keeper threatening to win the match single-handed, came the catch. Our normal skipper, who'd delegated to the vice for the final match, bowled one too short. The batsman hammered it out of the middle of the bat a few inches off the ground for what everyone thought would be 4 through mid on. However, he hadn't reckoned on the chunky 41 year old with dodgy knees diving to his left, stretching out his left hand and the ball resting in the hand. There was a delayed reaction before everyone saw what had happened, and as I lay on the turf with ball in hand wondering how the hell I'd done that suddenly I was aware there were 10 other players piling on around me.

Their overseas pro then took up the fight, but he was last out for 75, holing out on the boundary to wrap up the win. It was then back to the club for a good session, not having a car working out well on this score, before the youngsters in the 1s headed out to some godforsaken club in Kingston. Not before our Aussie, following his final league match for the club where he scored 98, had a little "treat" in the form of a stripper.

Cracking way to end the season, and I've been assured of "club legend" status for eternity for that catch.