• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Classic Matches

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
In today's Mail
Story about playing Spurs in 1968 by David Pleat

Tim Long

In today's Mail
Story about playing Spurs in 1968 by David Pleat
If you wade through endless articles about the Kardashians and 'celebrities' you'll be able to find it online.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8005677/DAVID-PLEAT-day-Jimmy-Greaves-impish-best-hat-trick-beat-Exeter-City.html

As yet no City fan has posted in the comments "All Jimmy Greaves's goals that night were offside"

iscalad

I believe we were the only team to put 3 goals past them that season.

Rosencrantz

If you wade through endless articles about the Kardashians and 'celebrities' you'll be able to find it online.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8005677/DAVID-PLEAT-day-Jimmy-Greaves-impish-best-hat-trick-beat-Exeter-City.html

As yet no City fan has posted in the comments "All Jimmy Greaves's goals that night were offside"
Has anyone posted a stinging critique of the goalkeeping?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It was in the 60s, so all the goalkeeping was absolutely perfect.

Colesman Ballz

They surely were. Just goes to show that lino's were just as carp 52 years ago, as they are today !

Colesman Ballz

I believe we were the only team to put 3 goals past them that season.
So I believe. They had also beaten another 4th Division team (Crewe) in the FA Cup in January 9-0 ! The home fans were very complimentary after the game and on the Tube. I was doing a three week work course in Birmingham, but fortunately my tutor was a Chester fan, and let me leave early to get the train down to London for the evening. Whilst there went with him and his mates to Villa Park, St Andrews, and the Hawthorns (for a European game against Bruge).

StroudGrecian

It was in the 60s, so all the goalkeeping was absolutely perfect.
Yep, and if you happened to break your neck, well you just played on.

Colesman Ballz

Yep, and if you happened to break your neck, well you just played on.
I recall City keeper Colin Tinsley injuring his arm in a match against Workington at SJP. With no substitutes allowed, an outfielder had to replace him "between the sticks". Tinsley had his arm put in a sling, and came back on the pitch and played on the left wing. In the 89th minute he headed the only goal of the game to win the game !

Oldsmobile-88

The 1st game back in the Football League at Darlington in August 2008 was a special occasion & something many of us did not think possible during the dark days of the Summer of 2003.

A great turnout of travelling Grecians for the game,can’t recall exactly how many but would guess at around 600.

I remember travelling to the game by train with a few others.A bit tight getting back to the station post match,it left at 1710 !
The Ground was about a mile & half from the station so it was a brisk jog back.

Other memory from the day was the ridiculous sized stadium that Darlington were now playing in.
The previous ground may have been small & not as grandiose but was more in keeping with a lower league team.