• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Classic Matches

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Maybe not quite a classic but with Macclesfield coming up this weekend, Steve Flacks cap in hand goal celebration must be one of the most iconic moments in the clubs history...that was some finish btw.

fred binneys head

:) I was in that group of lads at the front

Oldsmobile-88

One that I always remember was a win at Southend at the end of 1989.
Despite being 2nd in the table,the away form had been pretty poor up to that point.
The magnificent home form was keeping the Grecians challenging for promotion.
Southend were top so not much was expected,the team turned in a great performance with Darren Rowbothom getting the winner infront of the away support.
2-1 it finished.The Grecians went top of the table & stayed there for the rest of the season.

Oldsmobile-88

Another game that sticks in my memory from a long time ago was a 5-4 home win against Scunthorpe in 1976.
It was the last game of the season. It was a midweek fixture(it was common to play games after the official last Saturday of the season back then)
Nothing riding on the game,just a couple of teams enjoying a game with no pressure.

Iirc the scoring went 0-2,2-2,2-3,4-3,4-4 with Alan Beer scoring with virtually the last kick of the game to complete his hat trick & make it 5-4.
Just a shame there were less than 1,900 there to see such a entertaining & free flowing game.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Another game that sticks in my memory from a long time ago was a 5-4 home win against Scunthorpe in 1976.
It was the last game of the season. It was a midweek fixture(it was common to play games after the official last Saturday of the season back then)
Nothing riding on the game,just a couple of teams enjoying a game with no pressure.

Iirc the scoring went 0-2,2-2,2-3,4-3,4-4 with Alan Beer scoring with virtually the last kick of the game to complete his hat trick & make it 5-4.
Just a shame there were less than 1,900 there to see such a entertaining & free flowing game.
Lammie missing a penalty as well!

Red Devon

One that I always remember was a win at Southend at the end of 1989.
Despite being 2nd in the table,the away form had been pretty poor up to that point.
The magnificent home form was keeping the Grecians challenging for promotion.
Southend were top so not much was expected,the team turned in a great performance with Darren Rowbothom getting the winner infront of the away support.
2-1 it finished.The Grecians went top of the table & stayed there for the rest of the season.
Remember it well....one of those step up to the plate performances exactly when it was needed....I was on Grecian Travel that day.

Oldsmobile-88

Remember it well....one of those step up to the plate performances exactly when it was needed....I was on Grecian Travel that day.
Pretty sure Darkie ran a couple of coaches to that game..I remember we were going to stop at a transport cafe just after we got off the M25.The owner saw the coaches & put the closed sign up 😁

Red Devon

Pretty sure Darkie ran a couple of coaches to that game..I remember we were going to stop at a transport cafe just after we got off the M25.The owner saw the coaches & put the closed sign up 😁
Typical 80s away day 😀

Oldsmobile-88

Another classic..Classic Exeter City for the wrong reasons was the embarrassing defeat at Darlington in the last game of 1991/92..A must win game against the bottom club to avoid possible relegation to Division 4.
Predictably got a good hiding.Other results went our way to avoid the drop.
I could not bring myself to celebrate on the pitch after that performance.
Great day out except from about 3.30pm to 4.45pm.

Did you go on the supporters coach(x2) that day RD..We stopped off in Harrogate on the way up for a couple of beers.

fred binneys head

I was there, dressed as a clown as I thought everyone was going in fancy dress. Looked a right tw&t.