• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Clarity

Max Payne 2

Not one single person on here, has articulated plan, aim or vision that the trust can do that will make an immediate difference on the pitch.
Present company included ^. FWIW my plan would be to offer John Eustace a deal, ideally to the end of this season, give him until January to stop as much bleeding as he can and then go all-out to back him in January's transfer window.

StudentGrecian

Not one single person on here, has articulated plan, aim or vision that the trust can do that will make an immediate difference on the pitch.
Lots of people have called for change, someone bringing in new ideas is likely to have an immediate difference on the pitch. Nobody is the messiah and can tell you it’s a change for the best. What they are saying is this can’t be allowed to continue. The plan, the tactics, they never change, we watch the same thing every week and we get the same results.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Present company included ^. FWIW my plan would be to offer John Eustace a deal, ideally to the end of this season, give him until January to stop as much bleeding as he can and then go all-out to back him in January's transfer window.
I appreciate he’s out of work, but not a chance in hell he’d come here, especially on a short term deal. He’ll go to one of the next free jobs in the Championship after the job he did at Birmingham.

cannockred

What questions? we've had the worst injury crisis I can ever remember and we've lost a few football matches, that's it.
Whilst I am totally at odds with you politically RFS, you talk a lot of sense when it comes to football.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
It was more of a comment on your assertion that 'we've lost a few games'.
We have lost 10 out of the last 12, in what parallel universe is that acceptable?

Number13

Ok, clean slate, new manager comes in, he has 3/4 games to get through with the current squad and then can sign players in January

Who in our current squad do we think are (a) good enough and, (b), I think more importantly, care enough to be kept on by the new manager to see us to safety in May?

Sinisalo, Trevett, Cole (currently injured), Kite, Aitchison, maybe Hartridge if confident, maybe Carroll in category (a) and Sweens in category (b)

So the new manager needs to sign 7/8/9 players of L1 quality and get them playing confidently and together without giving them too long a deals to be an issue if we go down but by giving them long enough deals to be in category (b) as well as (a)

Its just not doable so those of you who blindly want "a new manager, any new manager or indeed Taylor" just be aware of the job they would have.......

StudentGrecian

Ok, clean slate, new manager comes in, he has 3/4 games to get through with the current squad and then can sign players in January

Who in our current squad do we think are (a) good enough and, (b), I think more importantly, care enough to be kept on by the new manager to see us to safety in May?

Sinisalo, Trevett, Cole (currently injured), Kite, Aitchison, maybe Hartridge if confident, maybe Carroll in category (a) and Sweens in category (b)

So the new manager needs to sign 7/8/9 players of L1 quality and get them playing confidently and together without giving them too long a deals to be an issue if we go down but by giving them long enough deals to be in category (b) as well as (a)

Its just not doable so those of you who blindly want "a new manager, any new manager or indeed Taylor" just be aware of the job they would have.......
It’s not blindly wanting a new manager. The results, the tactics, the performances have been dreadful. Caldwell refusing to switch away from this tactic that clearly is not working, he seemingly has no ideas to change anything.
At least a new manager would have fresh ideas, there’s no hope in results changing if we keep doing the same thing every game as GC is persisting with.

What makes you think Caldwell is the man to turn it around?

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster

You present this all as fact. Cheltenham, possibly the worst league one side I’ve ever seen have managed to get points on the board since bringing in someone good

At this level, a lot of the quality level of the players is a much of a muchness, how you set them up and the system is more important imo. Obviously you need some decent competition in each area to do that - but the players aren’t relegation-bad in my mind (apart from up top)

“Blindly” is so off 😂 It’s you that’s being blind, have a nice little read of Gary’s form, his previous record and our league position. The decision to move on couldn’t be more clear.

It’s like Tisdale all over again - posters just like you defending and defending “careful what you wish for” - total anxiety over changing a coach. Proven wrong of course. It might work, it might not - but the evidence is there that the current incumbent cannot get us out of this

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Caldwell could very well turn it around.

But he hasn't so far. He keeps doing the same thing. Yes we have a lot of key injuries. But he hasn't found a way of dealing with the squad he has.

Something major has to happen and we can't wait until the transfer window.

JJ red&white

I was always Caldwell in, but am now Caldwell out after watching Saturdays game.
Yes, we have had loads of injuries, but so do most sides, and my big concerns are the below;

1) GC history shows that he struggles to get out of a freefall, so how do we expect to get out of this one with him? What are his plans and why does he think that will work when previously he’s just been sacked off the back of them?

2) this all started with a 9-0 loss against reading. Yes it was tinpoint trophy, but the damage that battering would have done to the wider squad and all of those youngsters is worrying. What’s happened to the coaching of them, to lose 9-0, 5-0 against average opposition!? We have always been proud of the way our youngsters have been coached and perform in their respective youth leagues/cups, but the last 12 months have been concerning.

3) how was the striker situation allowed to happen? I have no doubt this was both a GC and board balls up, but it wasn’t a surprise nombe left and why were we left with awful back ups? Flitcroft has picked up some gems in the past, all of a sudden we bring in only Scotsman/players GC knew in the past. Has that peed off flitcroft?

There are various other points, but these are my general big 3 worries for the medium to long term prospects of the club!