• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Citys 'problem' fans at home and away

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
That's what it boils down to say 10 out of 400 plus people isnt many lets be honest. I've been to old Trafford where far more then 400 people have been signing far worse!

Racism has no place anywhere quite frankly.

Personally I'm confused as to why people where potentially singing anti IRA songs todayou. Ive got very little time for the subject of the IRA in general but it's just quite frankly odd for a club who has no links to Northern Ireland or Loyalist politics.
What is odd is writing "you've little time for the subject" next to your chosen sectarian symbol. Is it you teaching the Legion youngsters these songs ?

i8cornwall

That’s right, but yesterday only 10 out of 413 people thought those songs were appropriate. And there’s been an immediate reaction on here, like there was last week. This is the vast majority drawing the line in the sand for the small minority who need it to be drawn for them.

Credy’s response is expected, that’s his approach to life. No-one can ever change anything, so why bother. If you sing a racist song next to him, he’ll just shrug and say “boys will be boys”. If you sing one next to me I’ll tell you to shut the **** up and hit you hard if you get violent. I guess we’re all different.

Unfortunately the drawing a line keeps getting redone and it's a very fine line. It's a very slipper slope, next week who is to say that singing about our hatred of Argyle isn't seen as acceptable any more?

Eventually we stand to lose anyone singing at games through fear of offending someone.

It's 10 people out of 400 but to play the numbers games there are 30ish RL memeber who where hung out to dry last week at a game who had 3 thousand plus for actually doing nothing and not being apart of the songs. So can the 30 of us now say the way people acted towards us is unacceptable by someone fellow City fans? (Minus you as you actually stood up for us).

Racism is wrong and I'd probably complain if I herd any but thankfully I never have at any game ive been to city or not.

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
The problem is with a small number of individuals who choose to sing inappropriate songs....

.... but for the games I’ve been at where such songs were sung, it has spoiled my enjoyment of the game.
Thanks for the thread Pete and to FBH for highlighting the issue and the two key points above - a) it's a very small number of individuals and b) it does potentially ruin the game for those unfortunate enough to be near these people.

It sounds very similar to what happened at Newport. 30 yards further down the terrace,away from the gate, from where I was standing was the RL with their banners, drums and usual songs quietly getting on with their non contentious stuff. Then, about ten minutes before kick off, a group of young men appeared in front of me and started this sh*te - out of tune, witless and abusive. At the time I assumed they were students as they didn't seem like Exeter people, or sound like them. One priceless moment was when one of them informed his mates that Scot Bennett used to play for us; cue "your mother's a whore, Scot Bennett, your mother's a whore".

I found it literally unbearable and I had to move, and apologies to those further down the terrace (nearer the RL) who I squeezed in between to get away from the sounds these morons were making.

What I assumed at the time was it was just me that was being oversensitive - no-one around me seemed to mind very much, and carried on chatting to their mates and watching the game. But if it turns out that others were similarly incensed, then maybe this is the answer. People need to get to get together on the spot to call them out and tell them to shut the foxtrot up. The 10 I saw would certainly pose no physical threat to anyone, the club can't be expected to police its own fans, especially when tickets are on sale on the day at the away ground, so it's up to us collectively to deal with it.

fred binneys head

I agree - if they’re called out with the bad stuff, it will stop.

fred binneys head

Unfortunately the drawing a line keeps getting redone and it's a very fine line. It's a very slipper slope, next week who is to say that singing about our hatred of Argyle isn't seen as acceptable any more?

Eventually we stand to lose anyone singing at games through fear of offending someone.

It's 10 people out of 400 but to play the numbers games there are 30ish RL memeber who where hung out to dry last week at a game who had 3 thousand plus for actually doing nothing and not being apart of the songs. So can the 30 of us now say the way people acted towards us is unacceptable by someone fellow City fans? (Minus you as you actually stood up for us).

Racism is wrong and I'd probably complain if I herd any but thankfully I never have at any game ive been to city or not.
I agree it’s a fine line, but it’s one that each club’s fans has to draw themselves. This thread is part of us drawing our own line. Not everyone will agree, but it needs to be done.

Last edited:

Grecian Max

Thanks for the thread Pete and to FBH for highlighting the issue and the two key points above - a) it's a very small number of individuals and b) it does potentially ruin the game for those unfortunate enough to be near these people.

It sounds very similar to what happened at Newport. 30 yards further down the terrace,away from the gate, from where I was standing was the RL with their banners, drums and usual songs quietly getting on with their non contentious stuff. Then, about ten minutes before kick off, a group of young men appeared in front of me and started this sh*te - out of tune, witless and abusive. At the time I assumed they were students as they didn't seem like Exeter people, or sound like them. One priceless moment was when one of them informed his mates that Scot Bennett used to play for us; cue "your mother's a whore, Scot Bennett, your mother's a whore".

I found it literally unbearable and I had to move, and apologies to those further down the terrace (nearer the RL) who I squeezed in between to get away from the sounds these morons were making.

What I assumed at the time was it was just me that was being oversensitive - no-one around me seemed to mind very much, and carried on chatting to their mates and watching the game. But if it turns out that others were similarly incensed, then maybe this is the answer. People need to get to get together on the spot to call them out and tell them to shut the foxtrot up. The 10 I saw would certainly pose no physical threat to anyone, the club can't be expected to police its own fans, especially when tickets are on sale on the day at the away ground, so it's up to us collectively to deal with it.
Thanks to arthur - who I know has his own issues with the style of support, but has separated that here in the name of fairness - for not lumping RL into this.

fred binneys head

And the price that the RL pay for being the brilliantly vocal fans that they are, is that they will be first in people’s thoughts when they hear inappropriate songs.

It’s not right and that should also get called out when it happens (as you’ve done) but you’ve made a good name for yourselves as “the singers”, so it will happen occasionally.

Maybe it’s a good opportunity for the RL to be the ones that call it out?

Last edited:

DB9

Mind not that singing vulgar and vile songs or shouting abuse at players is right, They are just words, I've just seen on TV Jack Grelish being lampped by a Birmingham fan who ran onto the pitch

fred binneys head

Mind not that singing vulgar and vile songs or shouting abuse at players is right, They are just words, I've just seen on TV Jack Grelish being lampped by a Birmingham fan who ran onto the pitch
You’re right that there are clubs with bigger problems than us, but it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do anything just because there’s worse things that could happen.

Grecian Max

Maybe it’s a good opportunity for the RL to be the ones that call it out?
TBH, its not really a priority for us, we've got our own stuff to get on with. These songs/chants/comments have been happening for years, ever since I first stepped foot in the old Cowshed - I personally am completely numb to it. I am not very easily offended, perhaps that's my upbringing or whatever but I have a thick skin for stuff like that. My main issue with some of the songs are that they have no relation to City so are pointless. I appreciate when others are offended and I believe in fairness - so when RL get blamed it's only right to point out the factuals because I do care about RL retaining the support of the majority of City fans (despite regular criticisms since it's inception.)

RL will be in attendance in numbers at Cheltenham and FGR as well as possibly Notts County, lets see what those atmospheres are like.