• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City vs Grimsby MDT 28/09/19

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think Lee Martin is best in an attacking midfield role.

To get the best out of him and Law I would go:

GK

CB - CB - CB

RWB LWB

CM - CM

Lee Martin - Law (both as attacking midfielders, both would have plenty of freedom to go forward with two central midfielders behind them).

Striker

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
On Saturday, with our wing backs tied up trying to cover two wingers I'd have been happy if we'd moved Moxey into the defensive midfield position (for Collins) and Aron Martin come on as a centre back. Moxey is decent going forward and, as others have said, was a liability in defence.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pretty much all the midfield looked lacklustre on Saturday. Grimsby's "Atlantic" tactic of playing 4-6-0 with no-one specifically up front until late on left us scratching our heads.

And I remain concerned about the lack of cover for the defence from midfield, it showed again on Saturday. IMO much depends on when Atangana comes into the team, whether he lives up to expectations, and whether he then stays fit.

I know Collins is "one of our own", Taylor is un-droppable and Law and Martin are also favoured sons but unless we get a dispensation to have 12 players on the field if Atangana does play someone has to drop out. The question is who.

Let's see what happens at Crewe, looking forward to a good away-day but with some trepidation.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wrong thread.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think Lee Martin is best in an attacking midfield role.

To get the best out of him and Law I would go:

GK

CB - CB - CB

RWB LWB

CM - CM

Lee Martin - Law (both as attacking midfielders, both would have plenty of freedom to go forward with two central midfielders behind them).

Striker
Isn't this pretty much the formation we are trying to play? What's not clear is whether Lee Martin is being told to play deliberately higher up the pitch or he just ends up there because he's worked out during the game that's where the space is and where he might be able to get a tap-in.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pretty much all the midfield looked lacklustre on Saturday. Grimsby's "Atlantic" tactic of playing 4-6-0 with no-one specifically up front until late on left us scratching our heads.

And I remain concerned about the lack of cover for the defence from midfield, it showed again on Saturday. IMO much depends on when Atangana comes into the team, whether he lives up to expectations, and whether he then stays fit.

I know Collins is "one of our own", Taylor is un-droppable and Law and Martin are also favoured sons but unless we get a dispensation to have 12 players on the field if Atangana does play someone has to drop out. The question is who.

Let's see what happens at Crewe, looking forward to a good away-day but with some trepidation.
I'm slightly bemused by this suggestion that Grimsby out-thought us on Saturday. From box-to-box we were the better side and dominated territory and possession and created far more chances. The reason we lost is because we didn't take our chances and made some silly mistakes in defence. Now while those are clearly important parts of the game I'm not sure we need to change anything too radically just yet.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Pretty much all the midfield looked lacklustre on Saturday. Grimsby's "Atlantic" tactic of playing 4-6-0 with no-one specifically up front until late on left us scratching our head
I hate to pull someone as knowledgeable as Mr W on the subject of wheel arrangements but the "Atlantic" configuration was, as in football, the venerable 4-4-2 set up.
As far as I'm aware, 4-6-0 never had its own nickname.
Mind you, on Saturday's performance, even if Mr Huxtable had turned a blind eye and allowed us to slip on a couple of extra subs to finish up at 0-3 with a 4-6-2 set-up it would probably still gone down as an extremely "Pacific" performance. ;):cry:

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm slightly bemused by this suggestion that Grimsby out-thought us on Saturday. From box-to-box we were the better side and dominated territory and possession and created far more chances. The reason we lost is because we didn't take our chances and made some silly mistakes in defence. Now while those are clearly important parts of the game I'm not sure we need to change anything too radically just yet.
It's all a matter of opinion. I though we looked lacklustre and bemused as to how to play against their formation, especially in the first half. Matt T seems to agree based on his interview afterwards.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's all a matter of opinion. I though we looked lacklustre and bemused as to how to play against their formation, especially in the first half. Matt T seems to agree based on his interview afterwards.
I definitely agree that we weren't at out best, I just don't think we were as bad as some people have suggested.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
"Atlantic" configuration was, as in football, the venerable 4-4-2 set up.
As far as I'm aware, 4-6-0 never had its own nickname.
I stand corrected. My memory isn't what it was...