• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City bidding for Simon Royce

Newtonpop

Am I right in thinking Simon Royce played for Southend several year's ago? If so his experience would be invaluable for PJ but why would we want him unless Marriott was moving on?

cityno1ledgend

could be back up for Jonah .

Newtonpop

could be back up for Jonah .
Isn't that my point though. If Marriott is going then Royce would be perfect, but if not, why?

grecianred

I make you right but I don't despair, Royce is a decent keeper and Jonesy is apparently destined for bigger things, the reasons escape me but there you go, Jonesy most certainly has some game but IMHO is still well short of the full ticket.

Not sure why Royce is taking such a beating on here, has always looked solid to me and I would suggest that many aspects of his game are well in front of Jonesy.
Yeah I probably couldve phrased that a bit better. Royce is a very capable keeper and more than capable. He wouldve been in the top 4-5 gks in league 2 last year along with jones, hamer and warrington who always impressed me. Ironically it's only because of the large number of older pros tis has signed recently coupled with the continued presence of marriott which is influencing my judgment.

I pray jones stays, my gut feeling is that he will stay at least one more year here and this season is huge. He will either continue to prove the doubters wrong or suffer a crisis of confidence after a few shaky games and the debate on how good he is will reopen yet again.

Were Royce to be 5 or 6 years younger I'd say yes but can't see him as even a medium term option...