• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Christy Pym

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Very good article here on how the role of a modern goalkeeper has changed with some particularly interesting comments on the ideal size for a keeper.
http://trainingground.guru/articles/steve-harper-the-dna-of-a-modern-keeper

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nice article from Steve Harper there. I always liked him, although he was really unlucky that he played second fiddle most of the time to other top keepers at Newcastle. I thought he played a season or two too long with Hull in the PL, but I'm glad he's in charge of the keepers back at Newcastle. To his main point though; he's suggesting the modern day ideal height for a keeper in the PL is 6'2".That being the case, theres a lot of 'undersized' keepers knocking about in the top flight! Our Christie is a good 4-5 inches away from that! No wonder nobody has come in for him thus far?

iscalad

Very good article here on how the role of a modern goalkeeper has changed with some particularly interesting comments on the ideal size for a keeper.
http://trainingground.guru/articles/steve-harper-the-dna-of-a-modern-keeper
Interestingly, Len Bond was one of the legends at the game on Saturday and I am taller than him by a few inches, which surprised me. I just about make 6ft.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Interestingly, Len Bond was one of the legends at the game on Saturday and I am taller than him by a few inches, which surprised me. I just about make 6ft.
Peter Fox was (is!) under 6' too, I believe (Soccerbase has him at 5'10).

Ash

Nice article from Steve Harper there. I always liked him, although he was really unlucky that he played second fiddle most of the time to other top keepers at Newcastle. I thought he played a season or two too long with Hull in the PL, but I'm glad he's in charge of the keepers back at Newcastle. To his main point though; he's suggesting the modern day ideal height for a keeper in the PL is 6'2".That being the case, theres a lot of 'undersized' keepers knocking about in the top flight! Our Christie is a good 4-5 inches away from that! No wonder nobody has come in for him thus far?
Are you suggesting that Christy might be 5' 9"???

Positive spin

Yet again like a record stuck in a grove you are banging on about Pym,s height.

Surely what matters are the saves he makes and clean sheets he keeps

Matt Russell

Yet again like a record stuck in a grove you are banging on about Pym,s height.

Surely what matters are the saves he makes and clean sheets he keeps
To be fair, he's even shorter than the Adam Stansfield Stagecoach stand.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
When Matt Taylor was supposed to have referred to him as "Pymy" I reckon it was a typo. He actually called him Pygmy.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
When Matt Taylor was supposed to have referred to him as "Pymy" I reckon it was a typo. He actually called him Pygmy.
I have to say I did misread it as that on Saturday's post match interview (facepalm)

PeteUSA

Yet again like a record stuck in a grove you are banging on about Pym,s height...
One thing I've never done is "bang on about Pyms height"! Its an aspect of his game that he cant do anything about. I think to bring his height into a discussion like you have is most unfair, just to create an argument. On this occasion, you're the one who wont do his confidence a lot of good, should he read this.

For what its worth, which isnt that much, I dont believe he's any more than 5'9". Thats not a handicap either. Many top flight keepers in the past have been no taller than that.