• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Candidate Husting

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Guys,

As is probably now clear from other threads on the BOS election, I have put my name forward as a candidate for this months election.

I thought it might be an idea for people to be able to read here my personal statement so that people can begin to gauge the feelings of those standing for election.

I hope the other 7 candidates join me on this thread...

Adam Henley

“If you want something done, ask a busy person”.

Reasons for Standing

When the Trust took over majority ownership of ECFC in 2003, times were very hard and no-one knew for certain what the future would hold. Now 7 years on, the club has progressed on the pitch to League 1 and many Trust members are beginning to question “where do we go from here?” Over the past year, the communication and initiatives from the Trust have been allowed to drift (anyone remember Grecian3K?) with little outside knowledge of actions, plans or financial position.

I am standing for the Board, as I feel that while the Trust has come a long way since 2003, there is still a long way to go. I am looking to improve both the communication from the Trust and bring long term planning to the financial side so that Trust members can never ask “why have they done that?” It would be naïve to believe that every decision made by the Board will be a popular one, but knowing why a decision is made is often as important as the decision itself.

About Me

 Regular away supporter over the past decade and Big Bank ST holder for this season following increased regular home attendances since passing exams.
 Member of 1931 Fund and Pitch In Fork Out group.
 Qualified Management Accountant working as a Finance Business Partner.
 Primary School governor for 10 years.
 Formerly a Borough Councillor in Wellingborough for 4 years.
 Theatre Board Director for 3 years.

I believe that the above experience will help me deliver change on the Board if elected.

What I am looking to Achieve

 More detailed and regular communication to the members so that they know what is happening at their Trust run Club.
 Develop a clear 5 year capital investment programme so that members can see what their subs and other income will be spent on.
 Put in place effective measurement of Trust actions so that when decisions are made they are then delivered in a timely manner.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Cheers Adam....and here is mine;

"My belief and support for the principle of Trust control is total and, whilst I would not discount the involvement of other parties at some stage, this could only ever be with the full agreement and support of the membership.

The club has made significant progress in many areas in recent years and, in line with that, there appears to have been an increase in the numbers of paid employees within the club. It has been difficult for the rank-and-file supporter to understand whether this increase has occurred with the full consultation and support of the Board of Society (BoS) and that processes are properly in place to ensure that full value of money is achieved.

I consider it important that the BoS performs a questioning and monitoring role as the club’s majority shareholder, without being obstructive to reasonable and cost-effective measures and appointments that will both push the football club forward and improve all aspects of its image and relationship with its supporters.

Equally, the BoS has a responsibility to give clear information and guidance to its own membership on every non-confidential aspect of its activities and interaction with the football club.

I understand that the BoS is currently reviewing its aims and objectives, but it is not clear whether the document will be available for the membership to consider prior to the AGM. In my view it should be and a timetable should have been set for its draft publication, with an opportunity given for the views of any member on its contents to be passed back to the BoS, prior to the AGM, for consideration.

From my previous experience as a Trustee in 2006 and 2007 I know that it can sometimes be a thankless and rocky experience, so why am I seeking to be involved again?

• Because I believe wholeheartedly in the principle of supporter control and involvement
• Because I would like to help develop a clearer and better defined strategy for the Trust with regard to its role and purpose and in its relationship with the football club
• Because I want to be satisfied that the club’s actions and activities are properly monitored and always take full regard of the interests and aspirations of its supporters
• Because I feel that the BoS needs to provide better information, guidance and accountability to the membership on its work, its strategy and its actions"

JAMIII

I'm another of the 8 candidates and although I've never posted on this or any other website I do check this site regularly and believe it to be a legitimate format for debate and opinion. I think it is a mistake for the BOS or the club to ignore the views of the hard core supporters who make the majority of the comments here.
Jay Milling
"I would like to join the Trust Board because I think I can contribute to a constructive and effective working relationship between the Club and the general Trust membership. I have been involved with the club as a fan, an advertiser, a sponsor, a supplier, and an enthusiastic volunteer during the teams most recent run up the leagues. I was one of the final candidates for the CEO role and am currently on the board of The Pride of Devon. If elected as a Trustee I would seek to be involved in corporate governance and finance. In order for the Trust to maintain it’s effectivenes it is vitally important to define the current aims and objectives given the very different circumstances today than existed when the Trust took over the ownership of the club. The focus now is not just survival and respect but solidifying our position in league one and aggressively pursueing further promotion. As the owner of the club the Trust has a right, a duty, and a responsibility to closely monitor the day to day running of the club. Additionally the Trust needs to contribute substancially to medium and long term stratagic planning. My experience as a businessman and entrepenuer in Exeter, and my dealings with the club in a variety of different areas have given me a very broad understanding of how to get things done, and communicate goals, objectives and results. I am currently active as an investor and advisor to a small number of businesses in Exeter and feel that I could devote an adequate amount of time to the Trust in order to contribute significantly. I already have a strong working relationship with the senior management of the Club and believe I could rely on this relationship to encourage and promote trust and cooperation between the Trust and the Club. As the majority share holder, and defacto owner of the club I think the Trust membership is too often under- informed, and under-utilised. My absolute belief, and my reason for wanting to join the Trust Board, is that the ECFC management, the Trust membership, and the BOS all sincerely want to produce the best possible standard of football in Exeter. It is imperative that the Trust and the ECFC board establish a greater degree of trust and mutual respect and I welcome the opportunity to contribute to this process."

Jim Shepherd

Jay, Good to hear a new voice.

Is Pride of Devon the commercial part of the club? If so would you have any conflict of interest being on the BoS?

Red the Paper

Banned
I am not looking for a professional committee member.

I vote Pete Martin

JAMIII

Is Pride of Devon the commercial part of the club? If so would you have any conflict of interest being on the BoS?
Jim,
Pride of Devon was established as a wholly owned subsidiary of the club to assist with catering and hospitality. I don't believe there is a conflict of interest as a current BOS member is also a part of POD.

Antony Moxey

I vote Pete Martin
I'd vote Neil Pym - I remember him saying a year or so ago that he was looking to involve himself more in Trust matters.

Red the Paper

Banned
I'd vote Neil Pym - I remember him saying a year or so ago that he was looking to involve himself more in Trust matters.
Happy giving his money Ant but his time is too precious.

Pete Martin (CTID)

I vote Pete Martin
Whilst I thank you for your support RtP, may I suggest you wait until you’ve had some information from and of the other 5 candidates that haven’t so far posted on here before you make a final decision! ;)

Jim, could I add to what Jay has said in answer to you in that, when I was on the BoS previously, I was also a member of the embryonic Commercial Board, as was Martin Lawrence, and would confirm that there really is no material conflict of interest.

Antony Moxey

Happy giving his money Ant but his time is too precious.
Being serious for once, I imagine he'd make an excellent candidate. I find him to be a likeable fellow, even if he is a bit of a nob on here, however I imagine him to be a man not to suffer fools gladly, nor to allow himself to be bogged down in unecessary procedure. He's always struck me as a man to get things done and one who'd cut through the bullsh*t like a hot knife through butter without the need for endless committee meetings and without the need for secrecy. Oh to have a straight talking no nonsense BOSser of his calibre.