• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cambridge Utd. v EXETER CITY MDT

Steve H

Really well ground out win, with virtually no real chances created from Cambridge. Great to see us probably not top of the fair play league, very street wise.

I will have to say this though. After watching us vs Carlisle, Newport and Cambridge, we are not a 'footballing' team. The ball spends an unholy amount of time in the air. It's the points that matter, up the city !!
After seeing 3 games I agree we are not a passing team... won't be long before we are routinely referred to in the press as a route 1 team

However it does means more more action in and around the box and the goals are coming so I say let the hoof ball continue

scottus86

A good first twenty or so minutes follower by a comfortable defensive display. Got a bit more posession once Tilson came on and we were under pressure for a lot of the second half but never really looked uncomfortable. At 2-0 up I would like to see us hold on to the ball and play a more patient game in our build up and make the other team work to get the ball back. Conceding posession so easily against a good team will be dangerous. Saying that, we played well, took the chances gifted to us but didn't really build on the first half performance, but a great defensive display and I think we will be a hard team to score against this season.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Are we the new Wycombe!
Nothing to say about a solid 2 - 0 win away from home then....

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
The ball spent a lot of time in the air last season. The difference this season is that we have support from midfield and from Forte for Stockley. We still knock it round, just a lot quicker and in areas of the pitch that matter.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Let's be honest for a minute, strip out the Ollie Watkins period and our football was often dire for the best part of 6, 7, 8 years.

Also look at some of the goals we have scored this season, the three V Carlisle for example, excellent goals.

There have been many good signs so far this season however I think there is still a lot more to come, I think we have another gear in us.

4 games in, 8 goals for and 2 against, say no more.

Last edited:

hardi2b

"After seeing 3 games I agree we are not a passing team... won't be long before we are routinely referred to in the press as a route 1 team

However it does means more more action in and around the box and the goals are coming so I say let the hoof ball continue"

Steve, respectfully, one of the two goals came from a great passing development through mid-field. In my opinion the unnecessary pressure came from the lost possession due to the "hoof-ball" I still beat the drum for more controlled passing ALONG THE GROUND through mid-field for the same reasons as pointed out by Scottus86 in his posting........just my thoughts like

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
PC. Agree your second and third para. Disagree profoundly with the first. I just don't remember it being that way.

Last edited:

budegrecian

I don't think we can be classed as a route 1 team with players like Law, Holmes, L Martin, Taylor & Boateng competing for the midfield places. Sure, we'll mix it up, but, as the new players bed in, it won't all be long ball stuff.

hardi2b

I do note however that there is a lot more technical skill being expressed so far this season but passing accuracy seems a little lacking, overall a much improved and entertaining showing, agree with "The proper chap" that when once a little more polished as the team develops we will have "another gear" looking forward to Saturday. UTC

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
A good evening all round. Top of the table is better than being in Notts County's position! Not pretty at times and we really struggled to keep possession. Looking forward to the highlights.