• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cambridge United Home - Discussion Thread

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
If the pitch was covered in tennis balls, would this keep it warm?

#TwoBirdsOneBall
Yes especially if warmed up in the microwave first

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fair enough. Its a tough call either way, must be high confidence in the thaw else it would be off already.
Fans would have moaned whatever the outcome.
Agree entirely. If it was that bad then they’d definitely call it off. I’m hopefully this will now go ahead.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
What is the process for a weather-related postponement?
In instances where there has been persistent rain, snowfall or low temperatures in the week leading up to a fixture, it is the responsibility of the home Club to liaise with the EFL, match referee and visiting Club to ensure a pitch inspection is arranged and all parties are aware of the situation.

The match referee will always base his decision on the condition of the pitch at the time of inspection, but will also factor in any forecast improvements or otherwise and consult both managers/backroom staff of each Club. Ultimately however, the Referee’s decision is final in this scenario.

It is often the conditions in and around the stadium that can be the reason for postponements, even if the pitch remains playable.

See video below for further details.

Squeezebox

Is it not possible that Cambridge were consulted in some way - eg "There's a very good chance of the game being on tomorrow but will be called off now if you don't want to risk travelling". I would imagine Cambridge would want to play us now before we get our two season-saving strikers in!!

Nickp

Yes especially if warmed up in the microwave first
Reading fans have plenty to spare if required!!

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
For the club its 3 points the same as any other game, but I feel with the fixtures ahead, this one is massive for Caldwell. Really needs a win.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
The game is very likely to be on tomorrow. The second pitch inspection is protocol in case of a big change in the predicted forecast. I dont quite understand what people are getting animated about

Cup of tea will sort it all out or a Mint bailey's :)

DPR1901

FFS - that is really helpful if travelling from Worcester which I am.
What were you expecting to happen? The game to be called off because there's a possibility the pitch won't be playable tomorrow?

Travelling any distance to matches, particularly in winter, always involves an element of risk. If you're not willing to take that risk then don't travel - pretty certain no-one's coercing you.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
For the club its 0 points the same as any other game, but I feel with the fixtures ahead, this one is massive for Caldwell. Really needs a win.
Edited for factuals

Bridgy 81

Have they got a local ref? Is it Huxtable?
Looking at the photo of the pitch inspection on the club’s website it appears to me that it’s Mike Mullarkey who’s been involved in making the decision about tomorrow’s game (in discussion with Chaz and Andy Gillard).
You can’t get a more distinguished and decorated match official than that.
Let’s hope he’s equally as good at interpreting the weather!