• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cambridge United Home - Discussion Thread

PeteUni1984_7

if they can avoid calling it off until about 2pm, that will ensure that having travelled from Worcester, I won't be able to get to either Plymouth, Torquay or Bristol to watch an alternative game. Maybe the people who come up with these ideas should actually try watching football as a spectator some time?

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Should be alright you'd imagine based on the forecast

dommers

I wouldn't be happy if I was travelling long distance and there's still no clarity
But you can only get clarity if it's cancelled.
No one can say for definite that the match will be on. I'd be hopeful given forecast.

Jammers20

It’s not ‘no news’, it’s ’we are hopeful it’ll be on cos we are reasonably confident that the milder forecast will improve the bits we are worried about’.

As boyo says, it seems the right call to me.
If they were bothering to inspect today then they should have made a clear cut decision either way, they mention in the post on social media about the travel for Cambridge, which is now a total waste because they still have to set out not knowing of the games on or not. I never thought the game would of been played simply because of this early inspection and for letting them know regarding travel. it's now a lunchtime tomorrow inspection when away fans will nearly be here and even home fans will be travelling. seems a waste of time to me. Needed to be a definitive yes or no today imo... But more than happy if it goes ahead, just surprised i suppose.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
if they can avoid calling it off until about 2pm, that will ensure that having travelled from Worcester, I won't be able to get to either Plymouth, Torquay or Bristol to watch an alternative game. Maybe the people who come up with these ideas should actually try watching football as a spectator some time?
Still time to get down to Exmouth v Bishops Cleeve ;-), and you can easily get to Plainbore in an hour, assuming that's still on..

Boyo

If they were bothering to inspect today then they should have made a clear cut decision either way, they mention in the post on social media about the travel for Cambridge, which is now a total waste because they still have to set out not knowing of the games on or not. I never thought the game would of been played simply because of this early inspection and for letting them know regarding travel. it's now a lunchtime tomorrow inspection when away fans will nearly be here and even home fans will be travelling. seems a waste of time to me. Needed to be a definitive yes or no today imo... But more than happy if it goes ahead, just surprised i suppose.
My assumption is that they are reasonably confident that the game will go ahead, but they cannot say for sure as the weather may be a few degrees colder than forecast, which could scupper it. Calling it off today, if there is a good chance of it being playable tomorrow, would have been stupid.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Basically no news and another inspection at lunchtime tomorrow. what a waste of time if trying to stop Cambridge having to travel down. makes absolutely zero sense.
Nonsense. If there was no prospect of the game going ahead, it would have been called off today and Cambridge would have been saved a wasted journey.

Really struggling with which bit of this is quite so hard to comprehend!

Exehausted

I know it's not the most environmentally friendly / cheapest method but given it is always the section of pitch shadowed by the Doble Stand what about placing a marquee over the problem area and hiring in hot air heaters ?
We probably have a sponsor who can get their hands on them ?
Plus, how environmentally friendly is it to have thousands of people on the way to the match and have wasted journeys?

fred binneys head

If the pitch was covered in tennis balls, would this keep it warm?

#TwoBirdsOneBall

Colesman Ballz

Nonsense. If there was no prospect of the game going ahead, it would have been called off today and Cambridge would have been saved a wasted journey.

Really struggling with which bit of this is quite so hard to comprehend!
I really cannot imagine that Cambridge did not set off earlier this morning regardless of the inspection.