• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caleb Watts signs

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
I know the game is very different now, but I do find the level of injury in professional sport strange. Back in the 70’s we had (I think) a squad of 15 and only rarely had to use a St Luke’s College player to field a team, and didn’t Aston Villa win the league using just 13 players? As I say, different game now but I do wonder if Sick Notes are easier come by these days. Much the same could be said about Cricket, don’t ever remember Fred Rumsey or Alan Jones ever missing a game for Somerset- and they played 24 3 day games in those days
They wear slippers instead of boots.

Memphis09

Aitchison is back in contention for Saturday. Injuries are a fact of life, get over it.
The good admiral and Scott are fit so no worries

InMyBlood

I know the game is very different now, but I do find the level of injury in professional sport strange. Back in the 70’s we had (I think) a squad of 15 and only rarely had to use a St Luke’s College player to field a team, and didn’t Aston Villa win the league using just 13 players? As I say, different game now but I do wonder if Sick Notes are easier come by these days. Much the same could be said about Cricket, don’t ever remember Fred Rumsey or Alan Jones ever missing a game for Somerset- and they played 24 3 day games in those days
Get them eating steaks, smoking tabs and drinking beers like they did back then. Also none of this warming up and down too. 🥩🍺 (no smoking emoji?) Seriously though a lot less career threatening injuries these days. Would Kyle Taylor have played again in the past?

grecianstew

Yep, good point.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Like you said, football is very different now. The standard is a lot higher and the players are much more finely tuned.

I played pub football for over 10 years and I don't think I missed a game through injury. I pulled muscles etc but just played anyway - that doesn't happen in the professional game and rightly so. You'd rather the players played when they were able to give it their all rather than have half a side playing on one leg.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Get them eating steaks, smoking tabs and drinking beers like they did back then. Also none of this warming up and down too. 🥩🍺 (no smoking emoji?) Seriously though a lot less career threatening injuries these days. Would Kyle Taylor have played again in the past?
The advances in medical science have been huge. In the early 1980's, a young player I was coaching did her ACL and it was game over. At the time the first repair treatment using carbon fire was being experimented with (iirc on a Welsh Rugby International). Nowadays it has become standard practice.

tom_ecfc

Any updates on his injury, return date, contract status?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I wonder if the coaching team see a good player in him, or will decide that his injury record mean he's not worth the risk.

I wonder if the coaching team see a good player in him, or will decide that his injury record mean he's not worth the risk.
He looked ok when he played. But not played anywhere near enough minutes, sadly. Therefore, we simply cannot afford to take a risk on Caleb. We need proven players. And now.

StudentGrecian

You can already hear Caldwell claiming ‘he will be like a new signing’ when we give him a deal after failing to bring in our targets.