• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
On that subject, you did accuse me of being a “nutter” and wearing a tin foil hat. 🤣
Mature and balanced conversation?

I think I have your number Max on the GC issue, and I think it bugs you because I do.
One final question, is GC doing well despite our perceived low end budget or doing well in a way that is consistent with our budget?
'I think I have your number'

'Admit it'

Lolzzzzz

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
One final question, is GC doing well despite our perceived low end budget or doing well in a way that is consistent with our budget?
I answered this already which means you only read what you want to, however I’ll give you a very simple answer:

It’s both isn’t it?

I think if we had a mid table budget he is doing well - reasons are that he not only turned it round on the results side but he did something that I couldn’t see in the winter - he drilled his methods into the players and I think I have more clarity around what he’s trying to build stylistically

So from a results perspective he’d be on point in that circumstance but more important to me is culture and philosophy which also seem to be developing very nicely indeed

If he had a bottom 2 budget then he has exceeded expectations

I find it bizarre that you can’t comprehend these points - look back at my posts up until October last year, I was very positive about his appointment and was enjoying seeing him apply his new ideas - my concern, for which I was wrong - was that during that bad spell I thought he didn’t have it in him to turn it around. He did.

It’s a shame you can’t take on these thoughts as I can only assume you live in a world of fixed ideals, prove me wrong…

Grecian Max

We don’t know do we?
If the budget is as per stated by Hawker he’s done a good job. If the budget is as stated by Tagg he has done an exceptional job.
Is the correct answer

Tavy seems to be involved in an argument that no one is actually having 😂

Either way, GC has done a really decent job this year

The budget chat us important because it’s surely good to know as a fans-owned club what levels we should be expecting

Grecian Max

I think you're right.

I'm a bit bemused by this discussion though. I'm struggling to understand why people who have often opined that our ownership model is holding us back because we'll never be able to compete with the budgets of privately owned clubs, seem to be finding it so hard to believe we have the second lowest budget, in a league where we're the only fans owned club.
I don’t find it hard to believe at all

It would - however - signal that there is a ceiling to such ownership would you concede?

We all have our different views on where a football club in Exeter should place in the league structure. In my mind we are one of the most under achieving clubs in the country - arguably the biggest club never to have got to the second tier

Because we were particularly bad during the mid 90s to mid 00s there’s still a lingering sense of insecurity amongst some sections of the fanbase who I think sort of enjoyed being crap. I know I did as I got into City during that exact period.

Now, before the pitchforks are raised, I don’t expect us to make that position - however I do think based on gates, affluence of the area, growing population and importance within the county - that League 1 football as a standard should be very achievable for ECFC

Happy with the Trust ownership as long as that personal expectation is made. I’m still a Trust member and credit the organisation for getting to us this position - questions of what comes next only happen when we hit what I would consider and unnatural ceiling. Second lowest budget in a league with some very small and average clubs with it would be that.

Last edited:

malcolms

I don’t find it hard to believe at all

It would - however - signal that there is a ceiling to such ownership would you concede?

We all have our different views on where a football club in Exeter should place in the league structure. In my mind we are one of the most under achieving clubs in the country - arguably the biggest club never to have got to the second tier

Because we were particularly bad during the mid 90s to mid 00s there’s still a lingering sense of insecurity amongst some sections of the fanbase who I think sort of enjoyed being crap. I know I did as I got into City during that exact period.

Now, before the pitchforks are raised, I don’t expect us to make that position - however I do think based on gates, affluence of the area, growing population and importance within the county - that League 1 football as a standard should be very achievable for ECFC

Happy with the Trust ownership as long as that personal expectation is made. I’m still a Trust member and credit the organisation for getting to us this position - questions of what comes next only happen when we hit what I would consider and unnatural ceiling. Second lowest budget in a league with some very small and average clubs with it would be that.
Bearing in mind that information on club budgets is difficult to find, and once found, equally difficult to believe. I'm asking the obvious question and that is, how does anyone know where ECFC stands in the budgets table?

DawlishBouy

Bearing in mind that information on club budgets is difficult to find, and once found, equally difficult to believe. I'm asking the obvious question and that is, how does anyone know where ECFC stands in the budgets table?
We don’t, but the club does, because as pointed out a couple of times already, the EFL tells them. The only way we will know is if the club gives a definitive correct statement or if the EFL produced table gets leaked to the press as happened a few seasons ago.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
We don’t, but the club does, because as pointed out a couple of times already, the EFL tells them. The only way we will know is if the club gives a definitive correct statement or if the EFL produced table gets leaked to the press as happened a few seasons ago.
I don't know, but i bet even that data is misleading and full of caveats.

Think we're entitled to clarity on whether we're failing to put up a competitive league one budget and relying on the manager to pull rabbits out of hats, or were giving him lower mid table cash and he's doing a solid job. At least a single message rather than different ones depending on whether we're bigging up the boss or the trust.

Grecian Max

Bloody good interview with Gary on the pod with @DavidEarl

A number of things really come across but most notably:

• His acceptance and understanding that we weren't very good during that run, despite some spells
  • That we weren't all that in early season and results perhaps flattered - this one has been much discussed on here but the man himself thought this
  • He wants us to pass with purpose and meaning - every pass has to have a reason; given the uptick in form and the improvements in patterns of play perhaps this was down to player learning limitations after all rather than overall approach/tactics @Rosencrantz should like that one
  • Thinks Woods was a game changer, which we can all agree... lets cross our fingers on that one
  • We always knew he was a gentleman but it's worth mentioning that he takes on the criticism like a man, absolutely worlds away from Paul Tisdale on that. All in good humour too.
  • Showed disappointment around individual players getting criticism at the ground, totally agree especially around James Scott
  • Here's ambition and pragmatism in equal measure, ideal for a club like us and can see why he was appointed by the board
  • Alli came in as a 10, but the club bought him as a 9, I like this approach of seeing things in players and giving them a roadmap

All in all, in good hands I think

If we have another long bad run, I will have a lot more faith as he's proven himself on that score

Mid Devon Grecian

I don't know, but i bet even that data is misleading and full of caveats.

Think we're entitled to clarity on whether we're failing to put up a competitive league one budget and relying on the manager to pull rabbits out of hats, or were giving him lower mid table cash and he's doing a solid job. At least a single message rather than different ones depending on whether we're bigging up the boss or the trust.
Not really a great look singing from the rooftops how low our budget is if you’re trying to recruit good players! IMO club should just keep it vague. Let’s face it we all know we’re bottom half budget wise in this league. Just leave it at that.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not really a great look singing from the rooftops how low our budget is if you’re trying to recruit good players! IMO club should just keep it vague. Let’s face it we all know we’re bottom half budget wise in this league. Just leave it at that.
Vagues alright to an extent... We kind of know-ish... categorical statements that contradict each other less so.