• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 227 59.6%
  • Out

Votes: 154 40.4%

• Total voters

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure about that, essentially a dead rubber giving a lot fringe players a run out, no ones kicking off about that if we had lost
Perhaps not a full GC out campaign but at 2 down I was reading some really negative posts about terrible formations and shape, players being played out of position etc.

We changed a couple of personnel but not tactics or formation and suddenly scored 4. It's fine lines in football and fans are notoriously fickle.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Perhaps not a full GC out campaign but at 2 down I was reading some really negative posts about terrible formations and shape, players being played out of position etc.

We changed a couple of personnel but not tactics or formation and suddenly scored 4. It's fine lines in football and fans are notoriously fickle.
And a lot that came down to a few words from GC reminding the players what the plan was and how they should be executing it.

Grecian Max

I wasn't following the thread as I was watching the game, but just looks like people talking about the match not people being fickle

Sensitivity overload on here for a while, if City have a poor half or make a stupid mistake those things can exist within the bigger picture

You said people would have been calling for his head if we'd lost yesterday 😂

This fanbase is notoriously patient I would argue it took months of sustained losses - almost 4 - for the majority to really turn

It's also taken Jan - April to win back the majority, this is isn't a flip-flopping fanbase, won't have that

Football is a fast-paced industry unlike anything else and lives within it's own bubble. See Foster at Argyle; that was a deserved sacking IMO but actually happened across a relatively short period of time.

Last edited:

Bridgy 81

Appointing a young Coach can be a risk (although presumably cheaper).
But then again so can giving the reins to an experienced one who’s done ok in some places and failed in others and is now on the ‘known Manager merry-go-round’.
There have been some missteps in the former recently e.g. obviously Foster at Plymouth and Horseman at FGR.
But others succeed spectacularly e.g. McKenna at Ipswich.
I’m unsure whether those making these appointments are very just guessing, or randomly unfortunate/fortunate.

Grecian_in_Plymouth

this needs to be taken down now

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
Who died and made you admin? You could just let it drop down but posting on it has just brought it back up again.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
The thread title isn't a statement, it's a question.

The answer on the most part is currently no, but that doesn't mean GC's performance can't be discussed.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sigh. It doesn't need to be taken down, people will stop commenting on it at some point if there is no need to comment on it. Or there will be a need to do so and it will start up again

Grecian Max

Says this whilst taking the thread back to the top of the page 😂

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
No it needs to remain as if we lose our first 3 games of the new season I'll be changing my vote