• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
GC has very comfortably kept us up and with my rose tints on are currently occupying a position a mere 4 places below our highest ever position.
GC has kept us comfortably up and I'm looking forward to our short term future under him to see where we can go, but your argument of only being 4 places below our highest ever position is a false one. It doesn't stack up because we're not in our highest ever position. It's like me saying we're a mere 11 places away from winning the league, or only a mere 8 places above getting relegated. Pointless argument as we're 12th.

Bridgy 81

[QUOTE="Snoop Fog, post: 2305929, member: 4574"
Things are looking good right now, but GC hasn't actually achieved anything with us yet, other than keeping us up.
[/QUOTE]
In League One twice.
And if he can achieve more than that he’s in the reckoning to being our best Manager of all time.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
GC has kept us comfortably up and I'm looking forward to our short term future under him to see where we can go, but your argument of only being 4 places below our highest ever position is a false one. It doesn't stack up because we're not in our highest ever position. It's like me saying we're a mere 11 places away from winning the league, or only a mere 8 places above getting relegated. Pointless argument as we're 12th.
I was talking in the here and now and the fact is today we sit 4 places below our highest ever league position. Not really pointless just putting to the contrary and balanced position to saying we have just stayed up :)

Rivercider

I suppose it depends on roles, I do think there is such a thing as a "football brain"; being able to think 2, 3 steps ahead and make the pass that most suits it

Ampadu had that for sure - people took the **** out of his pointing but he was a bigger picture player which is coming to fruition now

Other players rely more on an engine to do relatively simple roles - Niskanen and Jake Taylor off the top of my head

It's a simple game overall, I'd agree - I think Caldwell wants to attempt a top level approach at a level that possibly doesn't have enough "football brains". I've seen a lot of frustration on the pitch from players at each other, not something I've seen as much of in our "stable era"

Of course, if it does come together... it could get interesting
I agree that at the basic level football is simple. We send out 11 professionals to do a theoretically simple job, though there are another 11 professionals trying to outwit them. This is where many other factors come into play. Management, coaching, team spirit, skill levels, fitness, crowd support etc.
(I always rated Ampadu)

cheers

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Things are looking good right now, but GC hasn't actually achieved anything with us yet, other than keeping us up.
In League One twice.
And if he can achieve more than that he’s in the reckoning to being our best Manager of all time.
[/QUOTE]
Not until he wins something he won’t be.

denzel

Problem is, no Exeter manager has won anything other than the fourth division title, or promotion from the fourth or fifth tier.

So the best way for him to be considered would be to be relegated, unless he wins the FA Cup..

STURTZ

Keeping City in league 1 year on year would be a massive acheivement. If you need a target then how about Brian Godfreys three and a half seasons in the third division from 1977? A run which did include our great cup run of '81. We stayed in div. 3 for 7 seasons in that period, a succesful period we'd do well to replicate.

Colesman Ballz

In League One twice.
[/QUOTE]
But still a long way to go before overtaking Brian Godfrey's record ! 9th, 8th, 11th, 18th and 19th in his five seasons in the third tier, plus a FA Cup run to the last eight.

Last edited:

fred binneys head

So if he stays for another 10 years, we finish top half of league 1 each year, maybe get into the play offs occasionally, maybe a visit to Wembley or two, full houses every week, and we have decent cup runs every year, he won’t be our best manager ever because we haven’t won anything? That’s your only determining factor?

haka

Most successful manager? Billy McDevitt, obviously.

Look, it's a trophy!

The Grecian Archive - 1934/35 All Results and information (exeter.ac.uk)

Brian Godfrey and Paul Tisdale won squat ... ;)