• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Our “forwards” Cox , Eisa , Muskwe , Wildschut & Scott have scored 7 goals between them and were into March

7..it’s unbelievable.

Our top scorer is a central midfielder in Reece Cole on 4…

Are all the above forwards awful players? or does the tactics make playing in Citys team an almost impossible job as a front man?
Easy answer to that Credy but then you knew that. Gary’s ‘tactics’ are stifling.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's not the deflected goals that are the issue, it's the paucity of 'clean' goals.
Does it matter whether it's a defelected goal, own goal or clean whatever that is goal. As long as it goes in the oppo's onion bag I don't give a flying fig how it get's there. Do you only celebrate clean goal then

David Treharne

Do you only celebrate clean goal then
Of course not. However, it should be noted that opportunities for any kind of goal have been extremely limited this season. One of the reasons, I suspect, why this thread exists and continues to be posted on. Another question, possibly aimed at you, 'How can you continue to defend the indefensible?'

berniesworld

We can always rely on A Deflection to chip in with a few goals mind 🤣
You wait until we sign that Ukraine striker Inoff Thepost in the summer!

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Does it matter whether it's a defelected goal, own goal or clean whatever that is goal. As long as it goes in the oppo's onion bag I don't give a flying fig how it get's there. Do you only celebrate clean goal then
I have literally said that I have no issue with the deflected goals. The issue is the lack of other goals.

You think we're doing ok in the goals department?

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Of course not. However, it should be noted that opportunities for any kind of goal have been extremely limited this season. One of the reasons, I suspect, why this thread exists and continues to be posted on. Another question, possibly aimed at you, 'How can you continue to defend the indefensible?'
what exactly am i defending David. You will note I haven't said I'm happy with scoring few goals just that I don't give a monkey's how a goal is scored even if they are a rarity

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
what exactly am i defending David. You will note I haven't said I'm happy with scoring few goals just that I don't give a monkey's how a goal is scored even if they are a rarity
I think it’s fair to look at it though, and think - why aren’t we scoring goals where we’ve opened up the oppo enough to have that clean shot on goal.

I agree that every goal counts but there is an underlying issue this season - we are terrible at scoring goals and it’s because we don’t create good enough opportunities. We have a bunch of OGs and deflected efforts as part of our meagre goal tally - it tells a story.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think it’s fair to look at it though, and think - why aren’t we scoring goals where we’ve opened up the oppo enough to have that clean shot on goal.

I agree that every goal counts but there is an underlying issue this season - we are terrible at scoring goals and it’s because we don’t create good enough opportunities. We have a bunch of OGs and deflected efforts as part of our meagre goal tally - it tells a story.

Yep. We score bugger all goals. And of those that we do score, a fair proportion have a big slice of luck.

Caldwell just doesn't know how to set a team up to create good chances.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster

I think it's entirely fair and appropriate to question why we don't score enough goals. Equally it's fair and appropriate to question why we concede far too many, and why we have such an abysmal goal difference. My point was responding to the comments which bemoned the fact we weren't scoring the right type of goal :love:
I have said this before but my short term goal is the survival this season of L1 status. Whilst many have made up their mind that Caldwell should go I'm still in the camp that I need to see what his summer recruitment brings forth and therefore can next season see a change to what we have endured this season. I can't answer that question now but will be happy to give a full and frank assessment by October.

Gordon Dale

I think it's entirely fair and appropriate to question why we don't score enough goals. Equally it's fair and appropriate to question why we concede far too many, and why we have such an abysmal goal difference. My point was responding to the comments which bemoned the fact we weren't scoring the right type of goal :love:
I have said this before but my short term goal is the survival this season of L1 status. Whilst many have made up their mind that Caldwell should go I'm still in the camp that I need to see what his summer recruitment brings forth and therefore can next season see a change to what we have endured this season. I can't answer that question now but will be happy to give a full and frank assessment by October.
Shrewsbury and Cheltenham away together with Burton and Charlton at home will prove pivotal ? If the 'goal drought' applies in these four fixtures then start thinking about trips to Morecambe, Newport , Harrogate and Salford? If City do drop back then don't expect an easy ride judged from the likes of Notts County, Bradford, Swindon and Doncaster all currently languishing in the bottom half? Has GC got the courage for that? AS they say....'more questions than answers'?!!!!