• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
Right now I wouldn’t be disappointed if he got the heave ho.
But I have no objection to him being given some more time and the benefit of the doubt to correct the lack of strikers in January.

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
Right now I wouldn’t be disappointed if he got the heave ho.
But I have no objection to him being given some more time and the benefit of the doubt to correct the lack of strikers in January.
This feels like too long. I'd love to give him the window, but that's already 2-3 months, and then we'd probably need to give him another solid month or two to see if the transfers have an impact.

We could easily be dead and buried by March. This slide needs stopping now, by any means necessary

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
This feels like too long. I'd love to give him the window, but that's already 2-3 months, and then we'd probably need to give him another solid month or two to see if the transfers have an impact.

We could easily be dead and buried by March. This slide needs stopping now, by any means necessary
Agree with you entirely .Trouble is , what means have we got available ? Caldwell and the club missed out in the right window where a couple of decent forwards might well have seen us on the fringes of the playoffs.Whether this was because Caldwell doesn’t recognise a decent forward when he sees one or the club was too tight/ afraid to invest/ lousy scouting , I don’t know. Now there’s only January to wait for and flirting around the bottom four if we continue picking up just the odd draw ( or win)a month with our , not exactly free scoring , mistake prone squad.Free agents were a dead loss , witness friend Muskwe who won’t even come alive on November 5th if you put a banger down his shorts.We’ve been flattered by one result and now voila , everything has changed we’re happy again.
Sadly , it hasn’t changed as Caldwell or whoever still has to work with the same bunch with no scope to change it round for a couple of months.Time will tell if it’s too late.

Fareham Grecian

That is easy to say, but of course we don’t know whether any steps we took *would* stop the slide. Any new manager would be unproven, and wouldn’t be able to bring in any new players till the window anyway - even if he had funds available. Getting rid of GC is simple (though expensive) - improving results from that point relies on us identifying someone available and proven who will do a better job with the squad we have.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
It would be madness to give him the window without the intention of keeping him in place until the end of the season.

Either get someone in before the window, to give them a chance to bring at least a couple of their players in, or don't bother.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
It would be madness to give him the window without the intention of keeping him in place until the end of the season.

Either get someone in before the window, to give them a chance to bring at least a couple of their players in, or don't bother.
If we are gonna bring someone else in, which I doubt we will anyways you'd want it at some point in November to assess the squad and then attack the January transfer window.

older-codger

Agree with you entirely .Trouble is , what means have we got available ? Caldwell and the club missed out in the right window where a couple of decent forwards might well have seen us on the fringes of the playoffs.Whether this was because Caldwell doesn’t recognise a decent forward when he sees one or the club was too tight/ afraid to invest/ lousy scouting
People appear to have forgotten that we were very close to signing Callum Morton who I suspect most on here would have been pleased with. Not the GC's fault he failed the medical. BTW he scored 2 yesterday!

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Of course , we’ll hopefully get a boost when Dion Rankine and the flying Finn come back .As long as they come back fit and stay fit they’ll be like two new players.Hope the January window isn’t too late and we can ditch Muskwe and find someone decent instead.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
People appear to have forgotten that we were very close to signing Callum Morton who I suspect most on here would have been pleased with. Not the GC's fault he failed the medical. BTW he scored 2 yesterday!
Fair point, albeit ironic, on the face of it, that we opted instead for someone who was out for the best part of six weeks and, it seems, is still a long way off the pace. Meanwhile at FGR...

Oliver

That is easy to say, but of course we don’t know whether any steps we took *would* stop the slide. Any new manager would be unproven, and wouldn’t be able to bring in any new players till the window anyway - even if he had funds available. Getting rid of GC is simple (though expensive) - improving results from that point relies on us identifying someone available and proven who will do a better job with the squad we have.
The stark fact remains of the last 21 League points available we have amassed 1 solitary point, alarm bells are ringing loudly something has gone very wrong.