• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
The entertainment for me is in watching professional standard footballers playing effective football
This is an interesting point, because a big frustration for me this year is that we often haven't been effective. Very much the opposite; having 60,70% of the ball and not scoring a goal isn't effective.

JGrecian23

In my search of more goals and shots on target I've decided to purchase a season ticket but at the same time move to Suffolk so I don't see any of our home games....but...wait for it...here's the catch I'm still going to come on here and lord it over all of you poor saps who are actually watching games.
Love it!

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Caldwell out group seem to now base their argument on playing what they describe as attractive / entertaining football. Whatever that is? simply because when you describe football in those terms its entirely a subjective argument. For me that's what we are now playing possession based football, Agreed we do need someone who knows where the onion bag is, However results are what brings in crowds not one person who scores 20 a season but we end up being relegated..
For me this season was all about staying in this league the entertianment was secondary. However, I do get the contrary argument as I can still vividly recall those days when we had our 'halcyon' period in Div3/L1 back in the early 80's when each home game seemed like a goal fest aka City 5 Millwall 4. You got your money's worth and couldn't wait till the next game. We rarely won away and never got anywhere remotely close to looking like a team that would be challenging for promotion. However, watching the likes of Kells week in week out cemented my lasting love of the club. To achieve entertaining football and be a competitive L1 club wont happen overnight. We all know it takes time to build and grow and establishing ourselves at this level wont happen in one year. We start next season with much more solid foundations and the remnants of a squad in place along with future prospects in Harper, Ali and Cummins bought to develop along with our own prospects in Cox and (hopefully) Richards and others. We wont be doing a squad overhaul but looking for 4-5 quality additions and who knows maybe next season the football will be that much more pleasing on the eye?

Fareham Grecian

This is an interesting point, because a big frustration for me this year is that we often haven't been effective. Very much the opposite; having 60,70% of the ball and not scoring a goal isn't effective.
Surely it’s more ‘effective’ than having *less* possession and not scoring a goal? Is effectiveness only about results? Is possession an end in itself? Why are lions? 😄

STURTZ

Too right, 1:0 win over 3:3 draw any day of the week.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
I think the main issue is that we play lots of nicey nicey, get into good positions, then take an extra touch (or eight) and the chance is gone. Last season we had a plethora of players confident enough to have a pop (Sam, Jev, Jay, Archie, Jack, even Demetri), whereas this season, only Reece seems to have the balls (since Demetri’s injury)

It’s so frustrating to watch, and predictable.

Last edited:

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
For me this season was all about staying in this league the entertianment was secondary. However, I do get the contrary argument as I can still vividly recall those days when we had our 'halcyon' period in Div3/L1 back in the early 80's when each home game seemed like a goal fest aka City 5 Millwall 4. You got your money's worth and couldn't wait till the next game. We rarely won away and never got anywhere remotely close to looking like a team that would be challenging for promotion. However, watching the likes of Kells week in week out cemented my lasting love of the club. To achieve entertaining football and be a competitive L1 club wont happen overnight. We all know it takes time to build and grow and establishing ourselves at this level wont happen in one year. We start next season with much more solid foundations and the remnants of a squad in place along with future prospects in Harper, Ali and Cummins bought to develop along with our own prospects in Cox and (hopefully) Richards and others. We wont be doing a squad overhaul but looking for 4-5 quality additions and who knows maybe next season the football will be that much more pleasing on the eye?
I think it is a really difficult one, I think unfortunately from a personal viewpoint that the bland, boring way England play has been ingrained into our coaches and we are seeing it trickle down the leagues. It is not a style I Like, especially trying to watch League one sides play it, i genuinely hate watching Southgate's England side and only really Liverpool are enjoyable to watch in the Prem. Man City are just the best at what they do and the style, but it isn't for me.

In terms of this season the main and most important objective has been achieved, we have stayed up and credit must be given to the club for sticking with Caldwell and to Caldwell for not walking away. IN terms of this season, for the main objective, I Was wrong and happy to be so, As obviously We all want GC to be successful as it is the best option for the club. I just wish we would change things when needed and the plan isn't working. We have plan A, that is sort of it.

IN terms of the style of play, tactical approach and entertainment, it has been very poor and ineffective for the most part, but it has achieved the aim of staying up. I don't particularly enjoy watching us even when we win, it is not a great watch, but obviously, I am always happy when we win and full accept that not every game is going to be a full blown entertainment fest, but this season I cannot remember many games when I came out and really felt pumped about this style of play, but again that could in part a personal opinion / watching us no do it effectively very often.

No in terms of next season, GC needs to seriously work on his tactical awareness and reading of matches, to be implement changes / subs / tactical changes etc. HE also needs to have a plan B if plan A doesn't work. As a club we must sign a Nombe Esc striker, young hungry and with potential (Fully accept these are hard to come by) to support Cox and the probable other two strikers we will need to bring in, but if we are to be effective, this is a must and is the most important part of our summer. I personally wouldn't mind Eisa as Third choice with Cox and a new first choice striker, alongside a young, raw 4th choice. We also need to sign Woods (Or similar) as he is so suited to playing Caldwell's and has been the biggest difference in the side since he came in. I Would also like Sinisalo retained if possible.

Lots and lots of work to do this summer for GC and the recruitment team / club. Personal improvement and collective improvement required and maybe even some goals.

Bridgy 81

I agree with a lot of this.
I also started to follow City in 1981 in Division 3 when goals (at both ends) and entertainment were virtually guaranteed every game and by the time they weren’t I was ‘unfortunately’ hooked.
And although I agree that we’re adding to and building on a stronger base of contracted players this summer there’s still a big recruitment task ahead.
The chances are at season end we’ll have no goalkeepers.
Defence, admittedly is fairly strong so a couple of reinforcements there and hopefully Cheick signing up again should see us ok.
But we’re likely to have no recognized midfielders at all apart from Reece Cole and then just Aitchison, Cox and Alli in more advanced positions.
So we need Marcus et al to be working hard on some significant solutions especially in the front two thirds of our squad.
And of course between the sticks.
I don’t think you can underestimate the value of a competent and reliable goalkeeper, both in terms of the points he can save you and the confidence he can give to the players in front of him.
Sinisalo has been a brilliant signing and I would say my player of the season.

Grecian Max

Is effectiveness only about results?
Erm, yes it is

IMG_5625.jpeg

Last edited:

Grecian Max

Too right, 1:0 win over 3:3 draw any day of the week.
Indeed, give me more than 6 wins from 21 league home matches any day of the week.