• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Billy Jones Released by Crewe

ecfc2000

not good enough, next

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
Importantly though, with Golbourne allegedly demanding more money, we can use the Billy situation to say "here's a replacement for free if you don't sign by 5pm, so have a think about and here's a pen"
I guess that would be about as worrying as him being told Greasy was being considered as a replacement.

Chasboy

Barry McConnell
Hi Jepo......when you coming to St Martins (Exminster) for a beer????????

Fresher

What needs to be considered is the fact that Billy Jones was good 18 months ago in league 1, and now is probably conference standard!? (league 2 wasn't strong last year)

Well-known Exeweb poster
Left sided defenders are not particularly easy to come by,especially ones that have the ability to score, and look how much more balanced and solid we've been since George returned . Bring the billy boy home, he was good enough for a championship side to sign and for him to play in the champs 2 years? agoI Im sure PT will bring the best out of him and im sure he will be good unuf for us. But I suspect the size of his wages may well be an issue.

Last edited:

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
Left sided defenders are not particularly easy to come by,especially ones that have the ability to score, and look how much more balanced and solid we've been since George returned . Bring the billy boy home, he was good enough for a championship side to sign and for him to play in the champs 2 years? agoI Im sure PT will bring the best out of him and im sure he will be good unuf for us. But I suspect the size of his wages may well be an issue.
Who is this Championship side he went to? Crewe were League 1 when he went to them, and narrowly avoided relegation that year, going down a year later

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Backing our manager like I always have. Geddon Tis
I guess that would be about as worrying as him being told Greasy was being considered as a replacement.
Billy could execute a fantastic corner and Taylor and others used to score more goals from set-pieces as a result, plus he could score a pen, and has a very neat free-kick too. And he'd be free. And as he would be moving up a division (hopefully we'll be L1), we call the shots regarding the wages rather than a player we try and persuade to move down a division, plus he knows many of the players and the tactics of Tis and should settle in quickly.

So I dont really see the antagonism towards Billy, Golbourne is a different LB, not entirely sure that he is a better one, I dont think there's much in it to be honest

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
BJ Could also play football
Now what a combination that would be....a BJ and football. :p

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
So I dont really see the antagonism towards Billy
It's not antagonism. Just that he's not a good enough defender to interest us.

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Backing our manager like I always have. Geddon Tis
It's not antagonism. Just that he's not a good enough defender to interest us.
Sorry, poor choice of words that was all. I'll rephrase it to:

"I dont see why people think he won't be good enough for us, especially on a free transfer"

He can also play effectively as a LCB or part of a three-man defence on the left meaning we can play an attacking wingback as well