• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

'BIG' news tomorrow

ecfc_1985

Social housing would not give the returns needed to fund the building of the ground.

"Many a slip twixt cup and lip".

I didnt mean build social housing I meant build housing to rent privately as the lack of social housing and the inability of people to get on the housing ladder means they have no option but to rent privately.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
So your gripe isn't with the club/Trust, just with the way the story is being reported?
Geez! Yes!

You had a good plan for the redevelopment as your avatar not so long ago...

;)

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
A quick back of a fag packet calculation based on an average of 200 students a day spending an average of £3 each, 7 days a week for 36 weeks gives you a turnover of £151'200 a year
Nice thought but a pal of mine runs UCLs student union, their intake is in the region of 22,000 each year, most of whom live within a sparrows cough of the union building, unfortunately, as would be the case more and more going forward, a high proportion of those students are foreign and don't use the facilities in the way domestic students would.

If I might suggest a smaller fag packet and a sharper pencil.

Poultice

I didnt mean build social housing I meant build housing to rent privately as the lack of social housing and the inability of people to get on the housing ladder means they have no option but to rent privately.
A very high proportion of the private rented market, certainly at the lower end, is financed through housing benefit, as beneficent as ECC might appear I doubt that they would want to stump up both a proportion of the capital costs of the project and then pay a lump of its ongoing revenue stream itself.

Leg

Nice thought but a pal of mine runs UCLs student union, their intake is in the region of 22,000 each year, most of whom live within a sparrows cough of the union building, unfortunately, as would be the case more and more going forward, a high proportion of those students are foreign and don't use the facilities in the way domestic students would.

If I might suggest a smaller fag packet and a sharper pencil.
I'm not entirely sure that UCL is completely analagous with Exeter. I think that other venues within a close area affect badly the income that the UCL Union has. These include the University of London Union among other things.
Having said that, UCLU is much cheaper at certain times of the day than anywhere in the surrounding area. This doesn't seem to benefit it that much though.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Geez! Yes!

You had a good plan for the redevelopment as your avatar not so long ago...

;)
Indeed!

Maybe we should start a new thread about the redevelopment plans which doesn't claim to be 'BIG news', then we can all be a bit more positive about things.

LOG

Apologies if i've missed it, but have any timescales been mentioned?

Poultice

Being discussed on here isnt the same as the Uni and the Club actually agreeing on the idea!
True to an extent, but the Uni's acquiescence has been stated on here as a "done deal" by a number of posters on at least a few occasions, plus the fact that there was no other reasonable alternative method of funding the project has been bleeding obvious since the very start of the debate.

Big up the Club for finally gaining tacit agreement from the Uni.

malcolms

Apologies if i've missed it, but have any timescales been mentioned?
Its' gonna be completed Tuesday week...:)

Poultice

I'm not entirely sure that UCL is completely analagous with Exeter. I think that other venues within a close area affect badly the income that the UCL Union has. These include the University of London Union among other things.
Same deal at ULU, I work there every Saturday and it doesn't achieve anything like the usage one might expect.

I don't know what the demographic is like at EU but they were not slow in bumping fees to the max, that will have a greater effect on domestic students than non domestic, especially the sort of low life **** heads that spend most of their loan on bevvy.