• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

'BIG' news tomorrow

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jayne, are you having a difficult day?

It's not difficult to see why Polly has his Trust voodoo doll out and is incessantly ramming pins into it.

What exactly were you expecting in this announcement?

There is absolutely nothing set in stone here. No news on the lease, no news on tie ups... it's exactly as any of us could have predicted 6-12 months ago.

Now, I'm not knocking the hard work of Rightwing et al, but there really is nothing to see here.

No pun intended, but when it's set in concrete, we know how long a new lease is and Mr Moxey and his motley band of surveyors is quickly followed by the demo guys and diggers, then you'll have something to talk about.

Until then, it's all hypothetical bluff.
There are many differences that I can see. The funding, student homes etc. Also the fact that there appears to be some momentum in it as well rather than just some random bloke spouting off on here.

Phil Sayers

Costs of a major project like this never alter during the course of planning and construction do they Phil?

Hyperbole.
If you had quoted my full post you would see that I said that making it happen is harder than planning for it to happen.

malcolms

OTR (Exeter) Limited is a guarantee company, and as such has no shareholders.

Here is a little text about the assets of a guarantee company form http://www.sfsgo.com/guaranteecompany.asp
OTR is not a charity or certainly wasn't, so the "market value" paid to the members of OTR for their interest in the St James Centre will be a capital gain (one assumes) on what they invested.

Poultice

Seeing as we all knew that it was only going to be initial plans that were revealed today, would there have been anything that would have actually impressed/satisfied you?
What is there to be impressed or satisfied about, we have paid some architects more money on top of the Drivers Jonas 25k to draw some pictures as a prequel to submitting a formal planning application, that's fine and unquestionably something which would have to be done.

All that bugs me is the tw*t from the E&E Tw*ttering that he has got 'big news' and some prole posting a link on here when we all knew this was happening any way, In any respect Dorkos thunder was stolen by the WMN.

Again, I love the idea that the ground is going to get developed and someone else is going to pay for it, the plans shown are probably as good as could be expected, it is a dog awful footprint to have to work with, but 'big news' is first the planning being accepted, second the ground being broken by a developer with sufficient funding and third the topping out ceremony followed by an opening fixture in the newly completed 'Rock Steady Eddy Stadium'.

I'm guessing that you are not holding your breath either.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
There are many differences that I can see. The funding, student homes etc. Also the fact that there appears to be some momentum in it as well rather than just some random bloke spouting off on here.
But we've been debating exactly that for six months or more. Sure, this is a part of a process on which a lot of hard work has been done, and I commend those that have put the sweat and toil into it, but in real terms...

NOTHING.

Grecian_Jay

But we've been debating exactly that for six months or more. Sure, this is a part of a process on which a lot of hard work has been done, and I commend those that have put the sweat and toil into it, but in real terms...

NOTHING.
What are you expecting? To turn up and see the development completed? Good luck with that.

STURTZ

While many of our fans are gleefully knocking the Gargs for bellying up to property developers perhaps we should should be taking a look at ourselves.
Yeah that thought crossed my mind but as we don't own our ground or immediate environs then it's not as if the club are rolling over and offering our soft underbelly to those vultures that plague many "monied" clubs.

It's The City Council that will be overseeing this scheme and we can only hope that they will see value in the plan and help us to realise it.

We can moan about nothing happening or we can try and find safe and self financing ways to raise 7 million to make it happen without putting ourselves at risk, I think this idea is exciting and I hope it goes to completion.

Poultice

It's not difficult to see why Polly has his Trust voodoo doll out and is incessantly ramming pins into it.
Nice to have you on board Spankers, but just a small point, as I don't believe the Trust will be financing the project in its role as majority share holder, I have in fact got my Club Board doll out this morning.

RobG

It has shown that there might be a way to get 7million pounds of development without going into debt! Sounds rather big to me!

ecfc_1985

I agree that they have probably done the best that could be expected with the resources and space restrictions. If this happens we will have a ground to be proud of.

One question though: surely given the huge rise in tuition fees (and corresponding drop in student numbers?) and the fact that a lot of new student accommodation has already been built in the area around St Davids Station would it not have been better to have built flats to rent? Especially when young people can't afford to buy and the council isn't building enough social housing, thus the demand will only increase.